“Great shopping pit stop”
Review of Walnut Room

Walnut Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Walnut Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #351 of 9,614 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Randolph
Transit: CTA Pink, Green, Orange, Purple and Brown lines at the Randolph / Wabash stop. Both the CTA Blue line (Washington stop) and CTA Red line (Lake street stop) are less than 1 block from the store.
Cincinnati
“Great shopping pit stop”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Great salads. Nice sized desserts. Good wine list. Fancy setting. Well priced! Will definitely go back.

• Visited June 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Nostalgia and elegant lunch”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Altho its Macy's now, not Marshall Field's (the iconic Chicago department store), I still love coming for lunch when I go to Kraff's Eye Institute across the street for my care there.
The food is tasty and well-presented, proper temperature and nice sized portions.
The furniture is a bit worn out (table legs scuffed and windowsills in need of refinishing - I swear I can see the same scuff marks from when I kicked the table legs as a child!)
White linen table cloths are covered with white butcher paper - guess corners need to be cut somewhere and saving on laundry is a no-brainer.
Get a window table if the center atrium is not decorated at holidays. The views of Chicago skyscrapers are breathtaking.
Service by Miguel our server was gracious and attentive, altho its the custom to push the appetizers and soups to beef up the % for a tip I notice. I hate this. If I want something Im a big girl and I can ask for it :/
I had the Flank Steak Salad which was tasty- the steak was charred outside and medium inside just as ordered, with fresh greens and lots of shoestring potatoes as garnish.
DH had Meatloaf which he liked. We shared Angel Food Cake with Berries for dessert - a huge portion big enough for two.
Will return and recommend.

• Visited June 2013
“Stuffed and we don't want to leave.”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Following the advice of friends who have been here before. I didn't want to eat in a Macey's, it seemed way to classless. Let me tell you: I was wrong! Beautiful location and ambiance. Food was impeccable and the service was outstanding. Historic restaurant with a great menu. Will definitely come back.

Ada, Mi
“Classic lunch at worn restaurant”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

While shopping at Macy's Stae Street store we opted for lunch. We decided on the Walnut room based on its menu. The food was enjoyable. I had the postpone which actually I thought had too much chicken and not enough vegetables. My wife had a Mexican inspired soup and salad. Our server was pleasant and attentive.
Major downside, it looks worn down. The furninature look right out of the 50's, with all the experience of heavy use. The dining tables were in need of repairs. The windows were half washed. Unfortunately I think the Macy's company relies a lot on Marshall Fields reputation to keep people coming to State Street. The whole store is showing its age.

• Visited May 2013
Acton, MA
“Relaxed, luxuriant lunch.”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

On a recent visit to Chicago we had the great good luck of trying the Walnut Room for a last lunch before catching our flight home. The combination of old-world decor, good food and a wonderful, grandmotherly waitress left us not wanting to leave the city. Meeting Laura was a high point of a great visit to a great town. Her bluff, honest kindness and efficient service made us feel like we were her personal guests. Try this place for an quiet, intimate luncheon...and ask for Laura.

• Visited May 2013