“Highly recommended for contemporary food quality, service, and ambiance!”
Review of West Town Tavern - CLOSED

West Town Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Town
Chicago, Illinois
“Highly recommended for contemporary food quality, service, and ambiance!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The West Town Tavern, located in the near west side of Chicago, serves a very good selection of contemporary food that includes weekday specials. Its one dining room is nicely decorated and is housed in a rehabbed late nineteen century building that is set up with booths and tables. It has an original tin ceiling, exposed brick walls, and a very comfortable 15-seat oak bar near the entrance. All of this combines to provide a very charming and warm ambiance.

On a recent weeknight my wife and I dined there. We started with a drink at the bar. Chris our bartender poured ample, well prepared drinks at very reasonable prices. We then moved to a nicely located booth where we started our dinner by sharing a crab cake appetizer that was a special of the evening. We then shared a fresh salad that was made with arugula and tomatoes topped with a green goddess dressing that was also a special. For our entrées my wife had the sea scallops accompanied by butternut squash risotto, and I had the pot roast with mashed potatoes (that I believe is a signature dish). For desert we had the Michigan Tart, another special, that consisted of berries and vanilla ice cream in a pastry shell that is made on the premises. All the food was very well prepared, fresh, and delicious, and we ate everything with great pleasure. We also had house wines by the glass that were very tasty and reasonably priced. Our table service was professional, helpful, and well-paced. Also, the hostess who greeted and seated us was very friendly and accommodating.

We had an outstanding dining experience at The West Town Tavern, and it is very highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012

Oak Park, IL
“Oustanding--and More Outstanding”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were brought here by friends to celebrate a birthday and anniversary. When we arrived, the chef brought us a plate of their homemade potato chips--why, you ask?--because our friends had been called the day before to confirm the reservation *and* they had been called that day as well, due to an uncharacteristic lack of record-keeping. It was the restaurant's way of apologizing--even though our friend didn't think they needed to! We started out with heirloom tomato salad, a special for the evening; one of us had scallops; another had tenderloin; I had the cajun shrimp special. Everything was fabulous--and the desserts were among the best we'd ever tasted. We shared banana cream pie (not like any you've ever had) and a mixed-berry tart. This is an excellent restaurant, with friendly service from beginning to end. Highly, highly recommended. If you're visiting Chicago, you need to know that it's out of the way, but worth the drive or cab ride.

• Visited August 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Chicago Neighborhood Restaurant”
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Charming little restaurant, a little out of the way, but worth the effort to find. I would describe the food as upscale home cooking. I had pot roast and trust me, it's far better than any pot roast your mother ever cooked! The ambience is low key and soothing. Highly recommend.

Rye
“Out of the way and relaxed”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The food was very good, the service professional and the atmosphere relaxed and casual. The prices were a bit lower than they are in downtown Chicago.

Visited July 2012
Houston, TX
“SHORT RIBS TO DIE FOR”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We were guests of locals and taken to West Town Tavern for dinner. Totally unknown to me but found it to be so cordial, with good, personal (but unobtrusive) service and, in my case, a main course of Zinfandel-Braised Short Rib with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Pennsylvania Dutch Black Vinegar Sauce to absolutely die for. I can still remember the taste and wish it were in my home town. Alas, it is not. Regrettably, a new diet plan kept me from dessert but others had dessert and my mouth watered. Go there is you are a visitor to Chicago and treat yourself like a local.

• Visited June 2012