“Great Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Kankakee, Illinois
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel and sevice was great during my New's Eve stay. The concierge Mark Roberts was very helpful and professional, he gave my guest and I great information as well as, a smile every time we needed his advice during our stay. I will most certainly stay and refer my friends to this hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shelbyville, Indiana
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I spent two nights here with my daughter in celebration of her 18th birthday. Valet parking was a breeze and, even though there was a line at the reception desk, check-in was smooth. We stayed in a corner, river-view room with two double beds. We were on the 19th floor and had two full-wall windows - one with the city view and one with city/water view. The beds were comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The bathroom was very roomy and had a separate shower and soak tub. Normally, I would not use a hotel tub for obvious reasons but this one was so clean and shiny that I had no qualms. The cleanliness of the room and bath were beyond reproach. The room also contained a comfortable chair and a desk and chair. There was an iPhone docking port that my daughter used and a safe in the closet.

Positives: We were able to reserve the town car for travel to the theater which was very convenient. The concierge was also a great help as we were looking for an upscale Asian restaurant that seated late-night as we wanted to dine after the theater. He was very helpful and put together a list of restaurants around the city that met our needs and recommended his choice. The doormen - always one step ahead and had the doors open right as you stepped to them which was very welcome when coming in from the extreme cold. iPhone charger and soak tub are also great. We noticed no noise from the adjoining room, however when the people across the hall or next door were in the hallway we could hear every word, though to be fair, they made no attempt to be quiet regardless of the tine.

Negatives: There are several lamps throughout the room and two hanging lights at the bathroom mirror. Unfortunately, all throw shadows and there is no good place to apply makeup so I would suggest bringing your lighted makeup mirror. Also, the shower is very cool to look at, but the rain shower head is not great for hair volume and the controls are difficult to master. To be fair, my daughter loved the shower. She did, however, miss having in-room coffee.

The Thompson is located in a quitter residential area that is still in walking distance to most shops and near several good restaurants and directly across from The Original Pancake House.

I am returning to Chicago next month and already have reservations for three nights at The Thompson.

Room Tip: I would ask for an upper floor to avoid city street noise. A corner room will offer plenty of views...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cflo1024
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for his birthday and it was our first time in Chicago. I actually originally booked a different hotel then saw this one was having a "buy 2 nights get one free" special. It was perfect because we were staying 3 nights. I looked at a bunch of reviews online which made me feel super confident about my switch. I was happy we switched. What a great stay, we checked in early, at 11:30 and the room was ready. I requested a corner room, but wasn't available the day I checked in. They ended up switching us the second day. Both rooms were beautiful, location was PERFECT. Workers were helpful and friendly. The only downside for me was that there was not any coffee in the room and my boyfriend wanted a pool. Everything else was exceptional.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was a lovely, clean and stylish hotel. Our room including bathroom was very spacious. The Thompson Chicago had only been open for 3 months at the time of writing this review. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 1601.

1 Thank Rendean
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It was modern, fresh and new. I loved my stay. The decor was youthful and fun. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. I had a wonderful view and my bed was perfect. I adore the bathroom. My shower was heavenly. I do wish that I didn't have to go downstairs for coffee, however is was a great opportunity to look at the beautiful lobby again. Lookin forward to visiting again soon

• Stayed January 2014
Wheatfield
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed one night for a quick trip in the city. The staff treated us like we were regulars and made us feel very comfortable. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms clean and luxurious, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Would definitely stay there again.

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have always struggled with finding a home hotel in Chicago - my search is over. The Thompson is in the perfect location - at the corner of Rush and Bellevue. Across the street from Gibson's and all the shopping.

I upgraded to a Jr. Suite which is a corner room overlooking Rush Street. The room was beautiful and well appointed. The shower was great and the sitting room was perfect.

Aside from the beautiful room and perfect location, the staff was beyond friendly and helpful. Be sure to take advantage of the car service offered at the hotel. I have not one negative thing to report. I travel often, 75 - 80 nights a year and I am looking forward to my return trip to the Thompson!

Room Tip: Upgrading is worth it as you will get a corner room with a sitting room and two walls of windows
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business