“OK”
Review of Italian Village

Italian Village
Ranked #131 of 9,544 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Description: Three restaurants in one historic building, the Italian Village is home to The Village, La Cantina Chophouse and Vivere. All three have their own chef and make their own way, each catering to a different restaurant experience. Whichever experience you choose, you can't go wrong. Our 35,000-bottle wine collection fills hearts with joy and our waitstaff, many of them with us for decades, ensure your dining experience here at the Italian Village is memorable. We treat you like family!
London, United Kingdom
“OK”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Had a business lunch. The food was OK as was the service. Waiters could do with smiling.
It was fairly empty as it was early in the week. The interior is fantastic and I can imagine it being a fun place in the evenings. Traditional Italian.

• Visited April 2014

• Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, PA
“Perfect "Custom" Dining Experience”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

In for business trip but back in October for Marathon. Was looking for a healthy pasta option (whole grain.veggies) and sometimes when you go into an established place like this, asking for something different and off-menu is frowned upon. Well, not here. Roberto made sure I got exactly what I wanted (and takeout was perfectly hot 15 minutes after I returned to hotel). The management was friendly, accommodating but most important, the food was perfect and very high quality. We will be back, many times, in October and any other time I am in Chicago.

• Visited June 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“Must see in downtown Chicago”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We ate here twice on Memorial Day weekend. The food was amazing, superb service and we loved eating upstairs. It was so quaint and beautiful. My boyfriend and I enjoyed it very much! We would recommend this to anyone and cant wait to go back when we are in Chicago again!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Yankee11
Norfolk, Virginia
“Disappointing in every way”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food here was by the worst I have ever eaten in any Italian restaurant anywhere. The risotto was okay, but the duck was raw, and I mean raw. My niece, to be polite, tried to eat it and just couldn't continue. She asked the waiter for a simple salad instead, but of course they charged me for both her salad ($7) and the overpriced, raw duck (at over $32). My "spinach lasagna" --if that what it indeed was-- was a two inch by 1 1/2 rectangle of green glue, but glue would have tasted better.

Decor? Not impressed. Cramped, busy, not private. It was clean, but that is the only positive aspect. The location near the Goodman Theater is good, but I now understand why there were plenty of tables available here when all the other upscale local restaurants were booked.

The waiter? Polite enough but unable to find in any of the three restaurants' bars apricot brandy for an apricot sour and took 20 minutes to so inform me. He did rush us in ordering, telling us they had a huge backlog in the kitchen because of a private party in one of the attached restaurants that make up the Italian Village. Mind you, this was in a restaurant with empty tables on a Saturday night between 6 and 8. Locals knew something we didn't, apparently.

The idea of three kinds of restaurants in one, such as at the Culinary Institute in NYS, is good, but this place doesn't know how to handle it, and everything comes out of one kitchen anyway. Food was bad, service was shoddy, decor was unimpressive, and prices were sky-high.

• Visited May 2014
Durham, North Carolina
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My husband and I recently found ourselves stuck in Chicago for two days after some drama at O’Hare Airport caused us to miss our connecting flight to Las Vegas. Fortunately, we got a room at the Hampton Inn Majestic, and they suggested The Villages as an option for a late evening meal.

I am used to extensively researching restaurants and hotels before I go on any trip, so I was a bit apprehensive going to a restaurant I knew absolutely nothing about … and I was pleasantly surprised!

It’s really a collection of three theme restaurants in one building. La Cantina, Vivere, and the Village. It was close to 10:00 when we got there so the only one open was the one upstairs – The Village.

The atmosphere is kind of campy, kitschy, Disney-meets-Vegas Italian. I mean that in a good way. It’s kind of fun. They have transformed that floor into a miniature Italian village with separate “buildings” / dining alcoves, painted the ceiling sky blue, and strung up white Christmas tree lights for ambiance.

My husband had the pollo rotolini – thin chicken breasts rolled with sausage and prosciutto – and I had the meat ravioli. Both of our meals were absolutely delicious. There was plenty of meat in the ravioli and the pasta sauce was more savory than sweet. It would’ve been nice to have a bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, but I’m not a fan of those communal containers left on every table and used by people I don’t know. Oh well.

The service was excellent. The only thing I found kind of odd was the waitstaff used rolling carts to bring the food to the table and to clear dishes after a meal. I’ve never been anywhere that used those carts. Perhaps it’s just a Chicago thing?

Overall, our first meal in Chicago was very pleasant!

• Visited May 2014

Been to Italian Village? Share your experiences!