“Consistently great food and service.”
Review of Italian Village

Italian Village
Ranked #114 of 9,766 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Description: Three restaurants in one historic building, the Italian Village is home to The Village, La Cantina Chophouse and Vivere. All three have their own chef and make their own way, each catering to a different restaurant experience. Whichever experience you choose, you can't go wrong. Our 35,000-bottle wine collection fills hearts with joy and our waitstaff, many of them with us for decades, ensure your dining experience here at the Italian Village is memorable. We treat you like family!
Reviewed June 20, 2013

One of my all-time favorite in downtown Chicago - hadn't been back in years - took friends
also visiting - loved it! The food was wonderful and the staff very attentive. Also very affordable and nice size portions. It was nice to go back and find it had not changed. We had one in our party who had a problem with the stairs so we were invited to eat in the main floor restaurant and
were able to order off the Italian Village menu - what a treat.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

After searching all day for a nice spot to grab a bite to eat. The wife and i decided on Italian village. I wondered about this place for two years and finally we came. This was one of the worst meals I have had in years. I will never return although our waitress was good and knowledgeable of the menu. I think she needs to try different food if she thinks any of the stuff she recommended was good. No flavor on anything even with the help of salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper etc....
Just plain awful!!!!! So disappointed. Garlic breath for nothing !!!!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

a very classic Italian restaurent , dark inside , classic service but exceptional food ,had excellent fish and pasta , impeccable service right downtown on Monroe . very tourist but why not when visiting if you have great food good service price on the high side but very acceptable !

2  Thank jean m
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This iconic Italian eatery is conveniently located in the heart of the theater district. Our server was efficient, knowledgeable and was aware that we needed to be on time for a nearby play. The Chicken in Chicken Della Nonna was a little dry but the light sauce with peppers, mushrooms and capers was very tasty. My wife had the Agnolotti. The pasta was doughy, the tomato sauce was only saved by the pesto sauce. There are 3 dining rooms and we ate in The Village which is up a long flight of stairs. Decor was warm if a slightly hokey and noisy. The bill for 2 with 1 cocktail was $48.00 tip included.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The signage on the street is great, but it's a bit confusing at the entrance. I was seated quickly and thought the decor was cute.

Service was mostly good, although they dumped the bread, with no butter, and didn't point out the olive oil on the table or offer any herbs or balsamic to go with it.

I ordered the risotto and shrimp special and it was awful. It had cruncy rice--not al dente, not cooked properly. There was also a metallic aftertaste. I stopped at two bites. When my server asked how I was doing, I said it was terrible, at least to me.

To her credit, she removed the dish immediately, and apologized profusely, and asked what else I would like. I thanked her and ordered the Eggplant Parmigiana, as that to me is often a good barometer of the quality of the food. Now, to my surprise the chef came to my table to ask me what was wrong. I told him about the rice, and odd taste. He suggested that it might have been the saffron. I replied that I use saffron frequently and that wasn't it. I actually think it might have been the shrimp, either having been frozen, or where it came from. He was quite nice, and clearly upset.

I got the Eggplant and it was a huge portion, and adequate, but not stellar. To my surprise the chef popped out again to ask how it was. I told him fine, because it was ok, and he seemed so startled by my first return. I must say that I am particular, and when I eat at "good" restaurants I expect better than average food.

The service was still good, and in the end, I was fed, which was important. I had enough leftovers to have dinner the next night, if I'd had access to a microwave.

I can't say I'd go back, unless I was right there and desperately hungry.