“Charming Chicago Tradition”
Review of Italian Village

Italian Village
Ranked #224 of 10,104 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Description: Three restaurants in one historic building, the Italian Village is home to The Village, La Cantina Chophouse and Vivere. All three have their own chef and make their own way, each catering to a different restaurant experience. Whichever experience you choose, you can't go wrong. Our 35,000-bottle wine collection fills hearts with joy and our waitstaff, many of them with us for decades, ensure your dining experience here at the Italian Village is memorable. We treat you like family!
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant is really 3 in 1. The original "Village" upstairs reminds me of Its A Small World in Disneyworld. The food is consistent traditional Italian. No fancy fusion here but the decor is a delight. Romantic for couples and great for hosting a small dinner party in a private "grotto"! The Vivere restaurant on the main floor is more upscale and the Cantina on the lower level is just a wonderful cozy hangout. I'm partial to this place. My dad came to this place several times a week for 50 years! It's tradition and an excellent location. The valet parking is a real plus! Good wine list and friendly service!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We took our infant daughter with us and had a wonderful dinner. She couldn't get enough of the homemade chicken broth! The service was wonderful and they sat us in a private grotto (even tho our baby didn't make a peep) but it was thoughtful for the other patrons. The food was wonderful, we had a variety of dishes and all of them were prepared perfectly.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I don't know how TA comes up with their rankings .but this ranked in the top ten% of restaurants in Chicago and while it wasnt terrible it certainly was not great.

It bills itself as the oldest Italian rest in Chicago. So you might expect that they make their own pasta. Wrong,my lasagna noodles came right out of a box. My spouses veal was tough. The spinach was good ,the salad was good the minestrone was not good.I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it .I was in Madrid last week and had a similar experience at a highly rated trip advisor restaurant that was not good.

Hey guys look at your system its not working.

the décor is so tacky that it is funny.

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Ate at the village (1rst floor) for lunch.
We liked the decor, our waitress was very friendly (although some waiters seemed a bit stuck up), the food was good but not part of the best we've had. Prices a bit high (50 dollars for two without alcohol).

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Just so so food - It's been around a long time so it's kinda an icon, but there are so many other places to eat at - this would be a pass.

Been to Italian Village? Share your experiences!