“Rockin Chinese. Even the kids liked it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dragonfly Mandarin - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dragonfly Mandarin
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
etheral1
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rockin Chinese. Even the kids liked it.”
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I eat. I eat a lot. I eat at Three happiness on Cermak. The little one, not the big one. I've been eating there for 25 years. The problem, is that it has no ambiance, no decor and horrible wait staff. But the food is phenomenal. Finally some place with quality Chinese food with great decor and cordial, competent, wait staff. They were great. Early dinner on Saturday. 5:30 with 4 kids. They handled it like a champ. Food was great and they even toured us around the place. Nightclub and restaurant all-in-one. What a place. Surely will go again and again.

1 Thank etheral1

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Food was good, but service was awful. We were one of two tables there and the waiter or kitchen lost our order.”
Reviewed January 19, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Food is average. Service...”
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Food is average. Service is bad... never did understand, because none is even in there. We did want to steal their wall art...its pretty :)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Chicago, IL
“Best Chinese I have EVER had!”
Reviewed February 22, 2006

Dragonfly Restaurant on Randolph Street in Chicago is the best Chinese/Mandarin food I have ever had. In addition, if you request your dish to be made a special way i.e. extra spicy, noodles instead of rice, etc. they honor your requests. The waitstaff is very helpful, friendly and efficient (if you're not sure what to order ask for their recommendations). Each time I've been there (over 15 times easily) the food has been superb! I bring everyone there with me, co-workers, friends, family, etc. and every single person has loved the food - you will not be disappointed!

Some items to try:
APPETIZERS
Try the calamari or the cheesy crab puffs, both are excellent!
ENTREES
Treasures of the Sea is my favorite (I get it extra spicy and with noodles instead of the potato nest).
I've also had the Salt and Pepper Prawns and the Hot and Spicy Scallops and both are delicious!
BEVERAGE (ALCOHOLIC)
Their Raspberry Martinis with Sake are out of this world! In addition their iced green tea is very refreshing.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Disappointing Dragonfly”
Reviewed January 28, 2006

We were a bit disappointed with this restaurant. We had expected an unusual dining experience as the web advertised Dragonfly as the one of the best Chinese restaurants in Chicago. The appearance was pleasant enough, with glowing red lanterns and columns illuminating the space. The seating area was pleasantly crowded on a Saturday night. The service was reasonably prompt but the food was disappointing. We had three appetizers and they arrived at the table cool and tasted much like the ordinary appetizers in common take-out Chinese restaurants. The main courses included a deep-fried red snapper which was pretty tasty and tender, but the three other dishes were very ordinary. While we think this could be a pleasant enough restaurant, it does not live up to its hype.