“First Time with Indian cuisine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaylord India Restaurant

Gaylord India Restaurant
Ranked #758 of 9,467 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Chicagoland
“First Time with Indian cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

The lunch buffet was a great way to try a variety of dishes. The Tandori chicken and lentils were very good. Just the right amount of spice. Not to mention the nan dipped in that delicious sauce.

I love my sweets so the mango ice cream and rice pudding were a treat.

I will definitely be back.

I rated the atmosphere average as the lighting maybe too dark for some

Gaylord is great for couples and lunch with coworkers.

• Arabic first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Reasonably priced and tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Being From Britain (where curry is perhaps surprisingly the national dish), my husband and I were delighted to be in a city with plenty of Indian restaurants to choose from.

We first tried the India House, but it was closed for renovations, so we ventured to the Gaylord as a second choice, and weren't disappointed. Our waiter was knowledgable about the menu, and gave us recommendations based on the heat or flavors we were looking for.

To start, we shared the tasty samosa chat, a vegetable filled samosa accompanied with flavorsome chickpeas, and topped with natural yoghurt and a cilantro purée.

My husband then had the chicken vindaloo, and I went for the Kerala fish curry. Both dishes were full of flavor, and my fish was perfectly cooked and tender, not stewed into oblivion as so often happens. We also shared a garlic nan, but the garlic was raw, so I found it too overpowering to enjoy.

The portions were huge, which is a bug-bear of mine, and many fellow dinners were taking home boxes of leftovers, so if my husband and I eat here again, we'll probably go for two appetizers and share an entrée.

The next time we visit Chicago we'll probably try a few other Indian restaurants before going back to the Gaylord, but we have no hesitation in recommending it as a reasonably priced, tasty and casual dining experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Should have know what I was getting not when we entered and there was only one couple and no Indians eating! Sadly, every thing literally tasted the same, mediocre food hardly spiced, and worst of all, not hot, but just warm-the rice was warm on the outside and cool in the center, like it was microwaved just prior to serving. Lousy bar with minimal selection of "appetizers and papa dan "chips" instead of the real thing. Probably the worst excuse for an Indian restaurant in my travels

Visited January 2013
ely, mn, usa
“Great service, Great location, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hankering for indian food while on a short Chicago visit, but not enough time to make the drive out to the indian neighborhood...where the food has been repeatedly exceptional in the past.
Gaylords is clean, relaxing and the service is very attentive and pleasant. I counted 7 different people who waited on our table of 3. Naan was overdone (please cull out the burnt pieces), "salad bar" had mushy carrots that I believe were supposed to be crisp and the salad bar was otherwise terribly lame. Chicken soup was excellent, as was chicken tikka. Mango Lassi was room temperature and bland. A pleasant evening with an extensive menu, but more attention to detail could be paid to individual items.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Morristown, New Jersey
“Great Indian, but you'll pay for it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Gaylords has wonderful Indian food. I had masala dosai, which I haven't had since I was in Bangalore. It was spicy, hot & wonderful. and I mean hot!! If you like y our food spicy, this is your place. Everyone at our table was really happy with their food. All of the dishes were great! However, it was pricy. Dinner for 4 was $165 before tip with a bottle of wine ($37). That's quite a bit more than I would expect to pay for 1 vegetarian entree, 2 meat entrees, an order of lentils and 2 appetizers.

Visited January 2013