2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.com$206
Hyatt.com$206
Hotels.com$206
Priceline$206
eDreams$206
Trip.com$216
1,115 results
All reviews hyde park free shuttle shuttle service valet parking whole foods complimentary breakfast excellent hotel great place to stay staff was very friendly and helpful room was large yogurt harper valois proximity couch block housekeeper
Selected filters
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I waited until we had stayed here a second time this year to write a review. Before it was built, I grabbed a reservation for my daughter's graduation from University of Chicago weekend this month. But I had an opportunity to visit in late January and so gave the place a try on a more ordinary weekend. If there had been other hotel options in Hyde Park, based on that first visit I would have found someplace else. As I wrote in a review submitted to Hyatt, the room was acceptable, but service was, well, the best word I found was "lackadaisical." In January it seemed the front desk staff was always talking on the phone, bored, and pretty uninterested in their customers. That combined with the $32/night parking charge put me off, but not enough to cancel for June. The convenient location outweighed the service issue.

Last week I found a totally transformed staff and energy. On a weekend when the place was full (indeed overbooked, which may have soured those who got bumped to downtown), the staff energetically greeted us, helped make us comfortable and kept the place sparkling. I watched a guy wipe fingerprints off the elevator door jamb in the middle of the day and other staff keep the breakfast area clean and well-stocked despite heavy use. They also answered my request for a high floor and a quiet room with a near-perfect location for us.

And the price for parking is still the high $32/day, but the valets were prompt and courteous and much more present than in January.

All in all, this hotel rose to the occasion for a graduation crowd that could have overwhelmed them, and provided excellent service, much improved from my first visit.

Other than the service, the rooms and breakfast are typical Hyatt Place, comfortable if a bit Spartan. The exercise room was well-equipped and the treadmill I used twice worked great. The shuttle, which ostensibly is there to take one anywhere in Hyde Park and then pick you up later, is perhaps the only negative to the service. It got part of my family to the University on Friday, but then failed to pick them up when called for a return, even after a long wait. I'm guessing some more experience with U of C graduations and similar events will help them hone that shuttle operation for busy times.

In summary, great work Hyatt Place, Hyde Park. We will likely be back.

Room tip: We stayed on the highest floor (6) in a room at the end of a hallway and it was very quiet even with the hotel full.
1  Thank FishingPastor
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed here over the U of Chicago's reunion weekend and loved it. It is the perfect product for Hyde Park and the University: clean, efficient, spacious, safe and with great service. The bed was very comfortable, the layout of the room with a sitting area was great, the bathroom was a really good size and the breakfasts were delicious - not tons of food, but what there was, was delicious. And they provided a variety of food each day. One suggestion would be a clothes line across the bathtub, but that would be it. I will definitely stay here every time I am in Chicago.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I recently stayed here while attending my daughter's graduation from the University of Chicago and found it to be quite nice. The room was large with a very comfortable bed as well as a sitting area. There was a very nice shower, although I was disappointed not to find a tub (my treat when travelling). The complimentary breakfast has lots of choices ranging from eggs/sausage/heavy breakfast to fruit/yogurt/cereal/light breakfast. The staff was incredibly helpful and nice. There is an indoor pool which is a nice extra. This hotel is a great addition to Hyde Park where previous options were quite limited/sketchy.

2  Thank soozeeq
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Stayed here for one night visiting family in Hyde Park. The hotel is quite new and they seem to still be ironing the kinks out. Valet service was spotty. However, the bed was fabulous, the room was large and comfortable, and we were given a quiet corner room. The complimentary breakfast included yogurt and granola as well as fresh fruit. It was mighty expensive for a hotel on the somewhat gritty side of Hyde Park, though.

2  Thank sk8lady
Reviewed June 13, 2014

...but no way to know as we were bumped. I made a reservation on September 15th for a June 13th arrival. Made the reservation through the Hyatt website, not a third party. Arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon and told that they had oversold and we could not have a room. We were "transferred" to another Hyatt several miles away.

To their credit they comped the room at the other Hyatt. But this has totally ruined our visit for our daughter's graduation from the University of Chicago and has led to enormous hassle in helping her move out of her dorm.

How they could oversell a hotel on what has to be one of the busiest days of the year is totally beyond me. I don't know what else I could have done. I made a reservation 9 months in advance. I used the hotel website. Don't think I had a discount rate. Was not a late arrival. I am a Gold Passport member but not elite. Guess that would have helped.

So this is probably a nice place and is conveniently located to UChicago and Hyde Park. But overselling the hotel on a day they are certain to have everyone show up (graduation) is inexcusable. One star.

Trip type: Traveled with family