Hyatt Place Chicago-South/University Medical Center
$650
$433
$519
  • Restaurant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$399
  • Breakfast included
Best Western River North Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$330
$309
BestWestern.com
  • Pool
Kimpton Hotel Allegro(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$582
$749
  • Room Service
$1,300
  • Pool
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$330
$288
Hotwire.com
All reviewsfree shuttlethe hyde park areashuttle servicemed centermuseum of science and industryvalet parkingfree breakfast isrestaurants and shopswhole foodssitting areathe hotel offerssofa bedrooms are largeexcellent hotelwithin walking distancecomfortable staygreat place to stay
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This hotel is a much needed addition to the Hyde Park neighborhood!

Location: Couldn't be much better for U Chicago visitors. You can get to all parts of the campus and hospital area in a relatively short walk.

Hotel: The hotel is a rather standard Hyatt Place. Staff were pleasantly friendly and helpful. Parking is by valet only and $32 per night. Be prepared to pay it because there is no easy street parking - nor is it always safe to park a couple blocks away at night. Breakfast is included, and is nice enough if a bit on the bland side with powdered eggs and not so tasty morning pastries. The coffee was defintely off-putting, but there is an espresso machine for caps and lattes. The eating area spans the lobby, and is really quite nice, with a variety of seating options - from open bar where you can meet others to cozy low tables for more intimate conversation.

Room: Our double queen room was perfectly fine. Big enough for the four of us, even with one sleeping on the pull-out sofa bed. Bathroom was large and nice. However, the door is all frosted glass, meaning that anyone using it late at night will wake up everyone else from the light coming through to the room. Like other Hyatt Places I've stayed, this one does not offer room safes. That's really a pain, and something they should reconsider. Finally, the beds and pillows were perfectly comfortable - not one complaint from the family.

This is where we'll be staying when we come to Hyde Park again in the future.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here while visiting family at the U of Chicago Hospital. There are not a lot of hotel choices in the area but this place does not take advantage of the customer because of it. The staff was more than helpful with anything we needed. The room was very clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was outstanding. We like the small bar and food service they have available. After a long day and cold temps we didn't feel like going out so their food & beverage choices served us well. We drove to the hotel and found the valet parking to be a little higher than we expected. However, they provided a free shuttle around the area. One minor inconvenience is a sliding glass door on the bathroom. It didn't provide complete privacy.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I liked this hotel for the most part. It was a quality room in an area where there aren't a lot of hotels. The place is clean and modern, and the two double room was enormous. The room uses a key that you just hold up to the door, which was pretty cool as I always get the swipe key going the wrong way. The beds were firm, which I like, and they offered a firm and a soft pillow, which is nice. The TV is huge and can be seen easily from the bed or sitting areas.

The shower was not quite as strong of a water stream as I like. It had one of those curved shower rods for more room. The door was a frosted glass pocket door, so if you need perfect privacy, that might be a problem. I liked that they had a real hair dryer instead of the kind that is attached to the wall.

Breakfast was really good. They had breakfast sandwiches, french toast, fruit, oatmeal, pastries, bagels, breads, yogurt, and juice.

Parking was expensive. Pay $32 a day for valet, park across the street in a lot I was told by the valet cost $30 (did not verify), or find a spot on the street and feed the meter every two hours. I opted for valet, which worked very well and I was able to come and go easily. They use a system where you text a code to their number, and you receive a text back telling you when your car will be ready. One time was 10 minutes, the next was 4 minutes. Nice to get that info while you're still in your room. Plus, I realized I'd forgotten a tote bag in the car. I called down to the front desk, and they passed the message on, and the valet went to my car and brought the bag to my room - really nice service.

Front desk staff was really nice and friendly. She got me a cup of ice for my take-out lunch when I checked in.

One weird thing happened while I was there. I was taking a nap in the early afternoon. Someone knocked on the door, then opened the door. Before I could get turned over to see them, they closed the door again. I looked out in the hall, and the cleaning cart was at the next room. So, it was probably just a mistake, but still freaked me out a little.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, and would stay there again. However, I would request a room that didn't face the side alley, as the garbage truck came through at 5:45 am with a backward beeping noise, then again at 7 am.

Room Tip: Request a room NOT facing the side alley - morning garbage truck is quite noisy at 5:45 am!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family stayed here for one night before going to the museum of science and industry. It was easy to find and close to our destination. The rooms were very nice, new and clean. Breakfast was good. The only downfall was that there is no parking so you have no choice than to valet park for quite the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank bzbeevr
Reviewed January 15, 2014

OK. My second Hyatt Place and my first one in Milwaukee was just great so I had high expectations. I stayed here NYE so I wouldn't have to drive home after drinking. Because it was NYE staff seemed on edge.

The property is nice. We were in an ADA room so we had plenty of space. The location of the hotel is great if you plan to visit The University of Chicago or its hospitals. Just off 53rd there's access to restaurants and a movie theater. Metra is a block away so easy access to downtown.

We did valet and the gentleman was excellent. Met us at the car when we pulled up and escorted us all the way to the front desk. When my BF and I walked in there were 5 ladies standing there. No one greeted us. We got all the way to the desk and finally an agent leaned over and asked her colleague if she wanted to take care of us. That was unfortunate. Now the valet gentleman is still standing there waiting on a room number. He had to ask for the room number five times before anyone even acknowledged him!

At 4 a.m. there's a fight in the hallway on our floor. I call downstairs and tell the agent and he says "aight" and then hangs up. Really?

We stayed two nights. The first morning breakfast was terrible. I mean awful. Pancakes were cold, breakfast sandwiches were cold and just disgusting. We opted for Mellow Yellow instead. Second day was a bit better. They had french toast that was edible.

I'm probably going to stay again because nearly all my friends live in Hyde Park and it's very convenient for instead of driving back home. Here's to hoping staff has a different tune on my next stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends