“My favorite restaurant”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Pilsen
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Absolutely freshly prepared food here. I have a feeling that some of the people don't understand or appreciate true Italian dining. If you want gushing service then the Olive Garden may more to your taste. At Bruna's you are not rushed or interrupted. The European style of dining allows you to enjoy your guests. Luciano still oversees a very fine Italian restaurant.

3  Thank mascara1

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Luciano makes the place- we went with the Melodys our friends from Houston and big ND fans. This is a tradition for them- to go after a game in South Bend. WE had a great Chianti (2-3 bottles) and started with fried squash blossoms and went from there- the pasta (a veal stuffed tortellini) was heavenly- great Pecorino cheese over it and fresh black pepper.

Then onto ossobucco which was delicate yet rich in veal au jus and , then a simple salad of olives and peppers and great coffee afterwards

1  Thank jknancejr
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We were the only two people in the restaurant for the two hours the last time we were there. I've had better service when it was full. I live in this neighborhood and I eat here once every few months, despite the slow/inattentive waiters. The bus/water person does a great job, I don't think my glass was ever less than half full and the bread was quickly refilled and they're not stingy with the cheese/oil. The creme of mushroom soup is the best thing about this place, and worth the trip every single time. The kitchen will make your pasta any way you want it, they're very flexible. There is an exceptional wine list and could actually stand to narrow it down a bit on the chianti and merlots; maybe even include a good sauvignon blanc. Overall, the experience will mostly be a nice one but you will have to be patient with the wait staff. It is cramped for space, and parking is almost non-existent if you don't valet. Iif you bring a screaming kid into Bruna's, you will get lots of nasty glares so please leave them at home. For two people, expect to pay (with drinks and tip) anywhere from $80-$125. It IS worth it, but barely. If you travel one block north and one block west, Il Vincinato's is a vastly superior dining experience. The staff is far more friendly and accessible.

Reviewed October 7, 2007

The evening was mediocre (sub-par foods, unmerited pricing) until we went to pay our bill. Then, the fireworks hit. We were in a larger party (seven), and we asked to split the bill between three credit cards and cash. We notated each part to be paid on the credit card, on the bill, and on cocktail napkins. We were told to go to the bar where our waiter would assist us. In the process we handed him the cash and explained the situation. It took an inordinate amount of time, but everything seemed to be fine until the waiter and the owner returned and said that we were $25 short - the exact amount in cash that we handed to the waiter! We explained the situation and he responded by accusing both us and his waiter of stealing the money! His waiter said that we had never handed him any cash. The owner demanded the difference. We paid, and will never return.

I've never been treated so unprofessionally by a manager or owner.

Reviewed July 8, 2007

Came here with the family on a Sunday late afternoon, after a visit to the Garfield Park conservatory; hadn't been to the "Heart of Italy" enclave for ages. Have to say the West Side looks better than it used to.

They have valet parking (looks like all the places on S Oakley do) for $5.

The food was just terrific: we had mixed salads (beautiful mix of fresh greens) and a Caprese (tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil), and various pastas. I had a linguini in red clam sauce that I must say was the most enjoyable rendition of this dish that I've ever had: hearty, rich, a little spicy, in a lush tomato base. One daughter had a daily special (cavatappi with spinach and ricotta) that was superb. Everything was fresh, nicely presented, and just tasted terrific. Portions were ample - not "Buca de Beppo insane" but very satisfying (other daughter took some gnocchi in pesto home for Monday lunch).

Because we were at kind of an odd time the place was not very busy, at least when we arrived, but I imagine the place has a nice buzz and vibe when busy. Service was pleasant and thorough but not rushed.

The tab for 4 ran ~$150 - including a couple glasses of wine, desserts, tax & tip. Worth every penny.

1  Thank Michael W

Been to Bruna's Ristorante? Share your experiences!