“Worst Service I've Ever Had, Food Okay At Best”
Review of Maza - CLOSED

Maza
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Chicago, Illinois
“Worst Service I've Ever Had, Food Okay At Best”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I grew up in a heavily Middle Eastern area in Michigan with tons of amazing Lebanese food, so am I an extra picky ------- when it comes to Lebanese? Abso-lu-tively. I'd give the food at Maza three stars. It's not bad, but for Lebanese it's a bit bland, and the meat is a little tough. The service at least as atrocious as my fellow Yelpers have already mentioned.

We had a reservation for a table for about 15 on a Saturday night, and it literally took them 15 minutes to acknowledge our existence at the entrance. They weren't even that busy. The servers stood around talking for a while from time to time. But, whatev, that's forgivable. Factor in the fact that we got our appetizers over an hour after we all arrived, and finished our whole meal in just over three hours, and you'll start to see a problem. We didn't even have alcohol, so it's not like we were drinking and just chillin. At the end of our meal, it took over four of us asking for our check to actually get it. That tacked on a good half an hour or more. They were never rude, just, incompetent or lazy beyond the point of comprehension.

As far as the food, the hummus is okay, a bit on the thin side, but fresh. The Baba Ganoush is actually pretty damn good, one of the best I've had. My main dish of lamb kabobs was the let down. Again, not bad, just a bit dry and unflavorful. They didn't ask how I wanted the meat cooked, and they did it medium well/well done. I think it would have been much better medium rare/medium.

I still haven't found a Middle Eastern restaurant in the city I love. I really, really want to. Really want to.

• Visited May 2011

North Carolina
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Visiting from out of town and chose this restaurant because our local friend is of Lebanese descent. The restaurant is small and a little hard to find only because it is in a new location and did not yet have a sign up, but just look for the address. The Lebanese wine was excellent and the owner/waiter gave us a free appetizer and dessert (baklava). We enjoyed three appetizers and two main courses. I do not eat sausage, so I can not review that appetizer, but the grape leaves and kebbo were superb. We had the Tabouleh salad and then the mixed grill kebob and the salmon special. The salmon was fresh and tender with a delectable sauce and the meats on the kebob were tender, perfectly seasoned and delicous. We enjoyed every bite and will definitely return. The prices were also very reasonable for Chicago.

• Visited October 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Bad experience”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This was the most stressful dinner I have had in a while. We go to dinner for enjoyment not to feel stressed.

The 1 star rating is due to the "Cons" of our experience which was enough to kill our appetite.

Pros:
1. The falafel as a starter was great! Enough really for a meal for 1 person.

2. The house Lebanese wine was very good.

3. The male and female wearing white were very nice. We had hoped one of them were our servers.

Cons:

1. The owner/waiter made me so stressed. He barely looked at us while talking to us and was very uptight. I had to ask him to repeat one of the specials twice so I understood what was in it. He looked annoyed that I even asked.

2. I order the special, Eggplant. I am a vegetarian. When the food arrives, it was a lot of meat on the plate with a small piece of eggplant wrapped around some beef. He told me the special was eggplant. I nicely told him that i do not eat meat and thought there was a mistake because I ordered eggplant. He told me that he had explained that there were 2 sausages on the plate. Nope! A vegetarian knows when they hear meat. I ordered something else, but the did NOT take my eggplant off our bill. We paid for a dish we did not want. We nicely asked him to take it off the bill, but he told us " No one can eat this now so you have to pay for it". My husband told him that we will not be coming back. The eggplant was $19

3. The bill. No one could read what was on the bill. The writing was so bad that it looked like it was done on purpose. Now that I am reading the past reviews, I that our tip was included also. We ended up paying $21 after using our $50 groupon.

4. The credit card stickers are on the door. However there is a written piece of paper that says "Cash only".

We were so excited to walk out the door. If you go here, don't get the special unless you are sure what is in it. Otherwise you will be paying for a dish you don't want.

• Visited April 2011
Libertyville, Illinois
“I really loved my meal and experience there tonight.”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I really loved my meal and experience there tonight.

Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Good food, gouchy owner”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Had dinner at Maza and the food was very good. As a person of Lebanese descent the food was more authentic than most middle eastern restaurants. The air conditioner did not work the night we dined and that may have caused the owner to be agitated. He did get friendlier later in the evening . But, the food was good and I will give this restaurant another try. Kebe was great, Lamb was cooked perfect. Really could be a great place to dine if the owner and staff knew how to smooze the customer.

2 Thank kcwn76