“Good hotel with a few niggles”

The Godfrey Hotel Chicago
Ranked #44 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed in an Executive King room at the Godfrey hotel and had mixed feelings regarding the experience. The room was very spacious, modern, had an excellent bathroom with quality L'Occitane en Provence products and housed a very comfortable bed. However the layout of the room was very strange, with it appearing to have been crowbarred into the corner of the building allowing only a small amount of natural light to enter the space.

The bar/restaurant was a clean and open space - we ate there for lunch one day and whilst the food was good quality, the service was slow and left a lot to be desired. The staff generally seemed to be very helpful and pleasant mind.

In addition, the gym was good quality, albeit small but the four cardio machines and selection of free weights allowed for a good workout.

With the hotel being a 5 minute walk from Michigan Avenue, the hotel is well situated and there are a good hotel of restaurants around to enjoy the stay. Would consider returning.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms - ask for rooms with lots of natural light
1  Thank Luke W
Jermaine A, General Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Hi Luke W,
Thank you for writing a review. Thank you for your feedback on the "few niggles" that you found while stay at The Godfrey Hotel. I truly appreciate hearing feedback from guests and will see how these can be improved. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

More of a nightclub than a hotel. Lying in my room at 11:30pm and the walls are SHAKING from the bass blasting out of their rooftop bar. They failed to mention that this isn't the kind of hotel you can actually sleep in until 1:30am. Avoid this farce.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank Gab T
Jermaine A, General Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Hello Gab,

Thank you for writing a review. I understand that a restful night is important to all traveler. We take all feedback into careful consideration and would welcome another conversation with you. We certainly would like you to stay with us in the future. If you would like to discuss your visit with me further, you can reach me directly at 312-374-1822.

Thank you again for staying with us.

despite of paying more than 500 dollars per night, i was given a terrible room
the air conditioning olny cooled one part of the room, the view was facing a wall and the door to the stairs was opened every 5 minutes making lots of noise.
the girls at the front desk were not very friendly and neither was a man who brought me an extra bad robe to the room

Room Tip: ask to have a high floor and a good view

Hello hilda s,

Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us. We understand the AC was louder than normal and looked into the situation with the motor. We have since fixed the issue and we appreciate your detailed feedback.

If you would like to discuss your stay with me, I can be reached directly at 312-649-2000.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was welcomed by the valet, front desk staff, and everyone else I encountered on my numerous stays at the hotel.

This past weekend was my most recent stay and the valet saw my cooler was dripping and grabbed a bag to put around it. The front desk greeted me cheerfully.
The room was excellent and the roofscape was awesome. The roofscape staff were happy to serve us. And the food by Chef Riley was delicious!
Twice I asked the front desk for toiletries and they delivered them promptly to my room right after my phone call.
Wonderful place to stay in Chicago. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Jermaine A, General Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Hi Brook G,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay at The Godfrey, and had a chance to experience I|O Urban Roofscape. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I read tripadvisor for nearly every hotel stay that I book, but have not written a review until now. Thanks Godfrey...

I decided to turn a quick business meeting in Chicago into a long weekend, since I rarely make it to the city in the summer. The main reasons I booked Godfrey were the large, new rooms, convenient location and rooftop bar / restaurant. For me, Godfrey was the perfect combination of a high end hotel conducive to a productive work trip, but with the added perk of having what is probably the best bar / rooftop in the city located conveniently in the same building (and if you stay at the hotel, you don't wait in the line). Views were amazing and so were the drinks. It is nice being able to do what I need to do, then go downstairs and be surrounded by that kind of energy. That being the case, if you don't want anything to do with the nightlife aspect, it is pretty unobtrusive.

For me it was the perfect combo for a hotel. Awesome room (and amazing bed) with great energy downstairs. I was on a higher floor, so the music didn't bother me at all, but if it is a concern I'm sure the hotel will try to accommodate you.

1  Thank Bryan D

Hi Bryan D,

Thank you so much for making The Godfrey Hotel your first review. What an honor. I am glad you enjoyed the work/life atmosphere, we try to bring balance by offering modern amenities such as free wifi throughout the entire hotel. I am happy to hear that you were able to experience the I|O Urban Roofscape. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

location was convenient for my trip. chose to park off site (much cheaper options available). Gas station nearby for snacks and water (I filled up my water bottle at the gym). If you like coffee, grab some extra Keurig cups from home for the trip, their coffee machine works extremely well. Room gets comfortably cold and quiet enough for me to sleep well. I would stay away from the floors near the club, the club was hopping

1  Thank mrefaat

Hello mrefaat,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you were pleased while you stayed at The Godfrey. In the future, if you would like more Keurig cups for your room, please feel free to call the front desk and request more. There is no need to bring some from home, unless you really want to. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

The Godfrey does have amazing beds and luxurious rooms. However, there are severe problems with the front desk.

Day to day, the service is cool and disinterested: don’t expect a friendly ‘hello’ or a smile when you re-enter the hotel. However, without exaggeration, my initial experience was the worst service of any hotel in my life.

To cut a long story short, my flight was delayed 6.5hr. My partner was on a different flight, so he checked in six hours earlier to the room. I arrived late Friday night when the hotel lobby is full of non-guests in line for the rooftop bar. I went to reception to explain the situation and ask to proceed to the room.

I know I looked shabby and exhausted after my 17h transit- especially in comparison to the other guests arriving for an evening out. But the staff member at the front desk was breathtakingly rude. They treated me like an irritation they didn't want in the hotel - preferring to deal with the clubbers and simply ignoring me.

When they eventually deemed to speak to me, they were obstructive, rude, and utterly free of empathy for a difficult day. Eventually, with bad grace, they called my partner to verify my identity and let me proceed to our room, all the while speaking to me like something unpleasant they'd found on their shoe. The emphasis of the whole sorry scenario was plain: I didn't look right for their hotel.

It's honestly the worst and most disrespectful customer service experience I've ever encountered anywhere in the world and it makes me angry to remember it. (Check out my other reviews on TripAdvisor - I'm anything but a serial complainer).

There are many other hotels in Chicago and I would choose every single other one above The Godfrey.

Room Tip: There is noise from the rooftop bar at weekends - quieter rooms would face away from downtown.
6  Thank edd54
Jermaine A, Manager at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Edd54,

Thank you for your candid review and for staying with us. We're glad you found the beds comfortable, especially after what sounds like a rough travel schedule filled with delays. Most importantly, thank you for the review and feedback about our front desk team. We are looking into the situation and will conduct remedial training as appropriate.

If you would like to discuss this further, I welcome a call from you. My direct line is 312-374-1822. Thank you again Edd54.