“Smacznego!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
“Smacznego!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited for lunch with our Chicago Greeter tour guide,what a treat.the owner,s son even spoke in Polish and recommended HIS selection rather than the menu.true Polish style,eh? We loved it,dziekuje.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Best Chicago Polish”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Absolutely delicious home made Eastern European food.
Very reasonable. Hearty soups. Great golubkis. Killer pirogi !

• Visited September 2012
New York City, New York
“Oasis of hearty, tasty, Polish food en route to O'Hare”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

A quarter of the way between the Loop and O'Hare, above the Division Street Blue Line stop, Podhalanka is a mecca for gastronomic pilgrims longing for spiritual and corporeal sustenance on the way to catch a plane, It's not much to look at, but the warmth of the hospitality at this family eatery, and the authenticity of its iconic Polish specialties make up for its dowdy looks and lack of tablecloths. The heft of the golabki (cabbage stuffed with meat, rice, and tomato) is balanced by the delicacy of the pierogis, their almost gossamer pastry enclosing savory fillings of cabbage, pork, or potatoes and cheese. Cooling, refreshing cucumber salads are enormous. My late Aunt Victoria made a good pierogi, and my stops in this oasis of Polish cuisine bring back happy memories. Podhalanka lacks an alcohol license, but vodka and beer may be procured just up the street to accompany a first rate lunch or supper.

• Visited August 2012
“Wonderful”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went to Podhalanka recently and I loved it! I had the perogies and potatoe pancakes which was absolutely delicious.everything was authentic and cooked to perfection. The customer service was exquisite. The lady that helped us was a doll she gave us half a loaf of bread to try.(polish rye bread) and even a discount off of our food because she was kind-hearted and didnt want to split a 10,take notice this was our first time here! I would definitely go back here!

Illinois
“Authentic”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

So, if you're looking for some pierogi, go no further. Sure, you'll have to start your meal with soup (not my thing, but it's pretty good) and then off to the pierogi. Now, they don't have the kind like my grandma used to make (prune! I know...I know), but these are a good alternative served with a half smile from an older woman (chef/owner/not sure).

Anyway, it's definitely worth a stop for your pierogi fix - but it's not a spot to sit and have a long, drawn out dinner.

Visited February 2012