“Superb Hunan Shrimp”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Taking the stairs to the second story restaurant was just like in so many restaurants in China...more the norm that the exception in large cities.

Our waitress, June, was delightful as she described how some of the food was prepared and she helped me with my Mandarin Chinese.

She recommended the Hunan Shrimp which was one of the best Chinese meals we've ever eaten, in China or the US. The shrimp were large and the sauce was a little spicy, but not like the typical Hunan style dishes.

The sauce tasted like a combination sweet/sour sauce and a brown sauce. Not too sweet like the Americanized versions of Chinese foods. The sauce was the clincher.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We come up to Chicago at least once a year and this is the place we have to visit on our trip! The food is delicious!!! As soon as u get to ur table u get served hot oolong tea. I had extra spicy general Taos chicken and my husband had sweet and sour chicken! We took a water taxy from down town! $8.00 per person for an all day pass!

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This place rocks!

Great service, lots of meat, and full of flavour.

I was a bit leary about going up the stairs, but once I was up there - I felt I was in a John Woo film. The service was quick and helpful.

I ordered a sizzling plate of hot beef and it was 85% beef. As well, I also had a Valcano Ma Tai? A drink for 2, and worth the price.

I would go here again, in a heartbeat!!!!

Go!

And, I'm from Winnipeg, MB, Canada!!!!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you are in Chinatown you have to eat here! My 2 teenage daughters and I stumbled upon this place and could have been happier. Yes, you need to go upstairs but the restaurant opens up once inside. The dim sum was to die for we recommend the shrimp and lemon grass. The pot stickers were really tasty and we had the best Lo Mein I have ever had. Just a wonderful experience all around.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The interior is very nicely done (one goes upstairs to get to the restaurant), and the wait staff are decently friendly. I ordered the Egg Foo Young with Egg Roll & Fried Rice, which as a lunch special ($4.95) came with Egg Drop Soup. My friends ordered the General Tso's Chicken. We all thought the food was delicious and filling. It's hard to go wrong with Won Kow.

RJT