“Slow and bumbling”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Neighborhood: Rogers Park
“Slow and bumbling”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Three behind the counter and no clue on a busy Saturday morning. Should have known when the line wasn't moving to leave. We ordered a redeye and cappuccino and somehow our order was lost. When it was pointed out that customers behind us were getting their coffee and not us, the guy making the coffee asked us why we had not given him our order. Really - we should give the order to the cashier and the barista? We asked for our money back but the cashier could not figure out how to do a refund and open the register. Unless you have lots of time to waste, you can find better service else where.

Visited April 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Treated Poorly”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Brought my wife and two children into Descartes for coffee and treats. I was impressed with the decor when we first went in, but it went down hill soon after that. The woman who served us was unfriendly, and my latte was barely warm. She remade it, but was grumpy about doing so. As most children do when they drink pop, my son needed to go to the bathroom. I asked the unfriendly woman to use the Descartes bathroom, but she wouldn't allow it. I asked where we should go then. She so lacked any compassion, saying she had no idea. I had to take my son almost a block away. We will come back to Chicago because we love it, but we will never again step foot in Descartes.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank BradF922
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“food in small portions”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

There really isn't anything to dislike. I guess I just don't care that much for savory turnovers, which appears to be their specialty.

Visited March 2013
Joliet
“Shameful behavior by Cafe Descartes”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

On Monday January 21, 2013 - Martin Luther King Day and the televised Presidential Inauguration Day - Cafe Descartes refused service to a woman with disabilties because she had a service dog. In an effort to correct their wrong, they have told lie after lie. A simply apology would be far more productive. In the meantime, I would not suggest supporting a business that discriminates! Spend your money wisely....somewhere else!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth L
New York City, New York
“decent cappuccino”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Decent cappuccino. However, as an Italian, I will never be happy spending 4$ for a cappuccino since I am used to spending 1 euro for it.

• Visited December 2012