“decent cappuccino”

Neighborhood: Rogers Park
New York City, New York
“decent cappuccino”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Decent cappuccino. However, as an Italian, I will never be happy spending 4$ for a cappuccino since I am used to spending 1 euro for it.

• Visited December 2012

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A little gem”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

In a world of chain coffee shops that pretend to care, Cafe Descartes is an independent standout. I would suggest you go here if you need to have a great cup of coffee and a few minutes to take a break from the curve balls that life throws at you. This really is a great little place.

• Visited September 2012
Sterling, Virginia, United States
“I'm a Fan”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've been to Chicago 3 times over this past year and each time, I've made a stop at Cafe Descartes. I discovered this place when I was staying at a hotel that had the usual in-room coffee maker, but still felt the need for at least 1 premium coffee. I went out to locate the usual Starbucks that you can find on what seems like every other corner of a big city. I walked out of the hotel and happened to walk by a Cafe Descartes just a few buildings away from my hotel. I figured that I would just stop in and see what they had to offer. The menu has all the usual specialty coffees and mostly the same type of pastries. My wife is a fan of the cinnimon chip scone and I liked the chocolate chip scone. I also liked their regular brew coffee. The one coffee on the menu that caught my eye was actually the Oatmeal Latte. It may sound a bit strange, but I was pretty surprised on it tasting good. To me, it's a breakfast combination having the oatmeal right in the coffee. If you stop in, give it a try. I think it will surprise you.

• Visited September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great coffee, excellent atmosphere”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

You really owe it to yourself to visit Cafe Descartes and have a specialty coffee. I had the Zebra Mocha - dark and white mocha swirled together. Yum!

The pastries, on the other hand, are a bit bland. I wouldn't have the blueberry muffin again...nothing wrong with it, just not as good as the coffee.

The decor is fabulous - opulent little pieces abound, atmosphere is cozy.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Beware- they "charge" for tap water”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family was in Chicago for a vacation and stopped in here to get some water and maybe a coffee and pastry. I travel often and being that we are from Florida, we do drink only water when we are out. They had no regular bottles of water in the case, only sparking and juice, so I asked the person behind the counter if he could fill our reusable waster bottles with ice and water. He said OK, did not say there would be a charge or anything. Normally I would ask if there is a charge, but I was planning to purchase a snack for my kids, so I forgot to ask. After he filled the bottles, he tells me it is $2 for the water. I did not want to make a scene since he had never said there was a charge, but immediately nixed any plan of purchasing anything from them because I do not like underhanded businesses. I handed him the money and he stuck it in his tip jar, not the register. I have no problem with a place legitimately charging a nominal fee to fill a water bottle, but it was TAP water, not bottled water and clearly he just gave himself a tip. Normally, I would tip the person who filled my water bottle if they do not charge for it, but a tip is given, not extracted. I should have told him to keep the water, but it was 102 degrees that day and $2 was not going to break my budget. However, it will keep me from ever going back there. I hope the owner is aware of the business practices in his establishment because they will not stay in business long with practices like that. If you are in that area and need to get a water bottle filled and a little snack, go across the street to Chipotle.

• Visited July 2012