“JB/ALBERTO'S -- ROGERS PARK'S BEST”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Pizza, Italian, Fast Food
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Rogers Park
Chicago, Illinois
“JB/ALBERTO'S -- ROGERS PARK'S BEST”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I lived in this neighborhood from 1963 to 1973, and again 1980 to 1999. From the time they opened, ordering from JB's was been a routine until we moved out of the area.

Don't get me wrong. There is pizza available in Chicago that cannot be duplicated, such as Lou Malnati's. But let's be honest here. Pizza is not always eaten to be compared. It is eaten to be enjoyed, and as long as you like it, eat it. If you don't like it, don't go back.

My favorite is the 16" double-deck with sausage. It really is two pizzas, one on top of the other, baked together. I have never found this anywhere else, and I still drive back to the old hood to get this. And remember this is delivery and carry-out only.

Bad neighborhood? Yes. Depressed area? Yes. But what's that got to do with good pizza? If you are uncomfortable with the neighborhood, park in their lot next to the building. Better yet, order for delivery, unless, like me, you are out of their delivery area.

And say hi to Tony!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank norshore

northside
“Awsome pizza”
Reviewed May 1, 2009

This place is a true treasure. It is definitely the best pizza I have ever eaten and ive eaten alot. Its a real neighborhood joint ,they have been there forever, and the staff is very nice. I really LOVE it.

rp
“Best pizza in Chicago”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This may very well be the pizza joint in the city . A discreet hidden little carryout and delivery pizza place. Not a fancy place by any means but boy is it Grrrrrrrrrrreat.

A TripAdvisor Member
“JB Alberto's is a Rogers Park classic!”
Reviewed January 9, 2006

Maybe it's because I grew up in Rogers Park, but, to me, there is nothing like JB Alberto's. Yes, it is greasy pizza. But you don't eat pizza to watch your weight. You eat it because it tastes gooooood.

Their thin crust and deep dish are both good. Although they have stuffed, I've never tried it. I'm afraid no one will compare to the stuffed pizza at either Giordano's or Carmen's.

But for good neighborhood pizza that hasn't changed since I was a kid, JB Alberto's is it!

A TripAdvisor Member
“This place is poisoning people and yet reaps huge profits! Just terrible!”
Reviewed July 30, 2005

The jb alberto's pizza cost us $25. We bought it Friday night, July 29, 2005.

We were ripped off, by virtue of the crummy quality of the pie. By the time we returned to the hotel with the pizza, we were not in the mood of returning to this horrible place.

We advise that you do not go there. There is a high crime area there. Police were taking reports of robberies a half a block away.

The place was filthy.

The crust was like cardboard. The sausage was foul!

We got tummy aches shortly after and the day after we were burping the most foul smelling belches we ever experienced.

The next day we had the runs non-stop, and had to buy diarrhea medicine!

WHERE IS THE CAVALRY (Chgo Bd of Health) ON THIS ONE?

AFTER ATTENDING MY MOM'S FUNERAL IN MINNESOTA, WE TOURED THE AREAS WHERE WE GREW UP AND WERE DISAPPOINTED TO SEE THE SLUMS OF ROGERS PARK HAD GOTTEN SO BAD. TO SEE THAT A PIZZA JOINT IS PROFITING SO GREATLY BY POISONING PEOPLE WAS QUITE DISCONCERTING!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member