“Best restaurant in Greek town”

Nine Muses Cafe & Bar
Ranked #1,819 of 9,604 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Greek
Neighborhood: West Loop
Neighborhood: West Loop
Birmingham, UK
“Best restaurant in Greek town”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Having been to a few of the restaurants in the area this is by far the best. We went in there for a salad for lunch and it was the best salad I have ever had. The grilled chicken was fantastic and everything just tasted fresh and the presentation was outstanding. A must if your in the area

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Simple food made excellently”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

All the Greek restaurants on this strip seem almost identical, so to try something new my friend and I came here for dinner on a Friday around 530. It's smaller than the big famous restaurants, and doesn't do as much of the "Greek" decor. Just looks like a casual restaurant/bar with sports on and strange euro music. Didn't have much atmosphere so I got a little nervous at first, and not seeing a crowded dining room made me cross my fingers and hope that the food would be good!

The menu actually has more Middle Eastern and Mediterranean influence rather than just straight-up Greek. It's a smaller menu than you'll find at the other Greektown joints, with some original choices. We each got a glass of wine (presented nicely, in pretty rounded glasses with mini-carafes alongside), and my German riesling was nice and sweet. I ordered the chicken kabob, and when we saw our huge plates coming we were like "holy crap, did we really order all that food?" My kabob platter had 5 big pieces of chicken, a salad, pita with tzatziki sauce, and a separate plate of rice. And wow, did the taste surpass my expectations!

Chicken was juicy and tender, with a delicious crisp-char on the outside. I could only eat three pieces since there was just so much of it! The salad was simple, mixed greens, red onion, olives, tomato, and feta, but the dressing was subtly tangy and very appealing. The pita was warm, and the soft fluffy rice went great with the crispy chicken. My friend felt similarly about her souvlaki platter.

I ate as much as I could. I only wish I could have eaten more! The only thing I didn't like was the service. After the food came we had a very hard time trying to get them to clear our plates, and then it took them almost 20 minutes to bring the check. Server was standing in clear sight of us, just watching TV. I had to just creepily stare at her until she happened to look at me and then gestured with my wallet. That was kind of annoying. But not so much to take away from how great the food was.

Sounds like this turns into a really different place at night! More like a Greek nightclub with food? Trust me at 6 pm it is nothing like that! At the early dinner hours it is pretty quiet but you will get a great meal!

• Visited November 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“More than average”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

In Greektown alone and just wanted to sit at the bar for dinner. Many of the Greektown places were jammed with tourists so I settled on Nine Muses. Ate at the bar with great service. Delicious egg lemon soup... that could have been my meal. Fresh hummus presented nicely with lots of fresh veggies. The chicken kebab platter was average. Everything was fresh and nice although the chicken tasted processed... like Tyson chicken breasts. Again, if you order correctly, the place is above average. I would go back just for the soup... and to try the coffee frappe. (Cute bartender did not hurt either.)

• Visited May 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Salads”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I typically come here for lunch. Especially enjoy sitting in the open windows when weather is nice. Service is excellent.

Visited August 2012
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
“Wow food so fresh..it vibrated in my mouth”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Sooooo good....red pepper stuffed wit cheese...baked...omg!,,,3 spread appetizer...yuuuuuum...Greek coffeee spectacular