“Great place Great food Great service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistrot Margot - CLOSED

Bistrot Margot
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Avenue
Transit: LaSalle and Clark St. bus lines, Red Line Clark/Division, Brown Line Sedgwick
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great place Great food Great service.”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is a must. We have found this gem of a restaurant and have not miss a chance to eat here in the last 5 years. We have taken our kids with us since they were toddlers and have never felt bad about doing so. Folks with kids in some restaurants will know what I mean. The Place has great food and great service. Easy to get to in a nice neighbor hood.

Visited March 2014

Reidsville, North Carolina
“Best French in Chicago”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This place is AWESOME !!! If you are in the Windy City and love french food, as I do, Please, Please, Please give this little place a try. I promise you will not be disappointed !!!!

Visited January 2014
Grand Junction, Colorado
“A Very Special Thanksgiving Dinner”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Our vacation in 2013 meant Thanksgiving in Chicago. We wanted something "local", with more than just Turkey on the menu, and a place that wouldn't break the bank.
Bistrot Margot was perfect. We took the subway from the Loop area and walked to the restaurant. It's easy enough, but a cab would probably be better on as cold a night as it was.
They have a coat check which was nice. The place was PACKED. Normally we prefer a quieter place, but everyone was in such fine holiday spirit and having fun that it felt just fine.
The service was fine, if a bit brisk. But as the place was so crowded it's understandable. There was no lack of attention when we needed it.
The food, even with a limited menu was marvelous. Not the best we've ever had, but excellent none-the-less. We'd go back again. It's just a wonderful neighborhood spot, off the tourist path, and well worth searching out. You'll be pleased.

• Visited November 2013
Illinois
“Delightful French bistro”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I enjoy reading previous reviews before I write mine to get a sense of prevailing opinions. While they’re mostly favorable those who are unhappy with their experience are really unhappy! I guess it’s all about expectations. If you think you’re in Paris you’ll probably be disappointed. If you expect haute cuisine, say Les Nomades, you might be disappointed. If you expected only French dishes (however that’s now defined) you’ll probably be disappointed. But if you expect reasonably authentic French food, with a few extras, good service, and a lively atmosphere, I expect you’ll come away pleased, as we did.

The menu is not huge but sufficiently varied to offer a nice range of choices. Sunday-Thursday specials are posted on a big blackboard. Our Friday entrée specials were on a separate menu. Everything looked delicious and we had a hard time making up our minds. Looking around at other plates to get a sense of size, we decided to share an appetizer and a salad and to order separate entrees. Smart choice. There are about six salad choices; all looked wonderful. Though I don’t usually like fruit in my salad, the endive choice was delicious, perfectly dressed, and a half portion just right. The risotto of the day (yeah, I know, it’s a French place, but so what) included two generous slices of brie and nicely julienned vegetables, with a yummy creamy source.

Having munched on the delicious bread while we wined and deliberated, we were almost full by then. But them came her duck and my roast chicken. Both well prepared, very (maybe too) generous, and nicely complemented, hers with polenta and haricots verts (that’s green beans ), mine with the largest portion of fries I have ever seen. They could cut it in half and it would still be fine. Nicely presented, quite tasty. But way too much. Enough to take home for today’s lunch.

And, since it was her birthday, they graciously comped a chocolate mousse dessert, accented with raspberry sauce, with the lightest, fluffiest whipped cream. Oh, my!

The dining room was lively with small groups and couples all seeming to be quite happy to be there. The only complaint is that it’s quite noisy. The old floor is white tile and the walls are hard so there’s nothing to absorb the sound.

Those who disparaged the service must have been in a different place. We were greeted promptly on arrival, shown directly to our table, greeted again by our waitress who gave us our menus and returned for our drink orders, and then explained the specials. A busboy provided bread and butter. From there everything proceeded apace. No rushing, no sense of being hustled, never being ignored. Our plates were removed just at the right time, never too soon. We lingered over our coffee and dessert with no complaints or glares from the staff.

The price was just what I’d expect from a bistro-level restaurant. Entrees are in the $16 - $28 range, quite competitive. Wines by the glass are $8 - $10, also typical. With tip, the total for the two of us was just about $100, a reasonable value for a special night out.

If you’re lucky you might find on-street parking; fat chance on a busy Friday evening. You’re in Old Town – theaters on the block, Second City nearby, every other business is a restaurant. Valet parking right in front is $12.

So, again, if you keep your expectations reasonable, you’ll come away, as we did, quite delighted with your experience.

• Visited October 2013
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a little piece of paris”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I love this place. Both romantic when with my boyfriend, and fun with groups of friends. We have become regulars for brunch. The food is always fabulous. Great wait staff also who never make you feel rushed. I love being seated in the room with the bar or the table under the stairs. The menu on Wednesdays is always a great deal.

Visited October 2013