“Good food, great value”

Ranked #1,702 of 9,764 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had dinner here last Monday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day after spending the day at the Museum of Science and Industry. Our party was four adults and two children and we ordered two appetizer platters and two dinner combo meals. We all enjoyed everything, with the possible exception of the stuffed grape leaves. The baba ganoush was excellent and we especially enjoyed the beef, lamb and chicken.Delicious! We ended up bringing home one of the combo meals. The portions were very generous. The staff wa very efficient and friendly. I look forward to returning someday.

1  Thank BobG357

Reviewed January 20, 2013

So where in Hyde Park can you eat filet mignon for $16? Here. And it's delicious. The Korean ladies who serve are efficient and all of my three prior experiences were also just great. Good, well-priced, quick and comfortable.

1  Thank NobodyInParticular
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is a fairly Spartan storefront East of the Metra tracks on 55th St., within walking distance of the University of Chicago campus. The appetizer sampler was OK. The stuffed grape leaves were somewhat tasteless and dry and the felafel just plain old felafel. The baba ganoush, with a touch of lemon, and the spicy hummus were delicious. I had the lamb sharwarma. Huge serving, with rice and vegetables, served with tahini sauce. The meat was somewhat tough and tasteless. Total dinner, including soup, appetizer, and main course, was about $20. I like Cedars, on 53rd Street, much better.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My family and I had lunch here recently. We had some hummus, a combination platter, and the Mosakhan Chicken. Both were excellent. The two entrees would easily feed three people. The Mosakhan chicken was so tender and covered with sauteed onions. It was our favorite dish. My son had the meat pie which tastes a lot like some type of pate'. They must use chicken livers or something similar. The combination platter included steak, shredded chicken, and chicken shawarma over rice. If we weren't heading to our hotel, we definitely would have had leftovers to go. Total tab was around $33.00.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I've come here, or gotten take-out, dozens of times. They never fail to make a great meal. My favorites include the lentil soup and vegetarian maklouba. The wonderful deep-brown roasted cauliflower with olive oil keeps me coming back. Entrees come with luscious, unctuous golden rice pilaf. Shawerma and shish kebab are always good too, especially if you are looking for a sandwich.

The eat-in atmosphere isn't exactly 5-star, but it's always excellent home-style food at a good price.