“Cedars Restaurant Hyde Park Chicago IL”

Cedars Mediterranean Kitchen
Ranked #1,182 of 9,832 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Cross street: Woodlawn Ave.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Inexpensive, free parking, good service PLUS terrific midddle eastern food including special lentil soup and fine salads and pita bread. Always fairly quiet. Short drive to all the University of Chicago's great attractions.

1  Thank Polevaulterchicago

Reviewed February 20, 2013

While on a visit to Chicago, my daughter and I visited Cedars for dinner. The restaurant, located in Hyde Park near the University of Chicago campus, offers a wide variety of Mediterrean dishes at reasonable prices. We started the meal with a superb Jerusalem Salad and great Grilled Baba Ghanooj. My daughter ordered the Kefta Kebob, a superb char-grilled lamb with tomatoes and other veggie. I ordered a Vegetable Curry with Chicken, which had the right level of spice and condimentations, and excellent Basmati rice on the side. For dessert we ordered rice pudding and Turkish coffee, excellent choices to end a wonderful dinner. The meal had no disappointments. The portions were generous, and the food was well-prepared. Definitely, we will return to sample the rest of their menu.

1  Thank Pucela08
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had the good fortune to travel to the Univ. of Chicago area today, accompanied by a second year student from Palestine at the North Shore Chicago college with which we both are affiliated. After our errand we looked for a place to eat, and literally stumbled across Cedars Mediterranean Kitchen. The young man was excited to see it, but said that of course it would not be really like Arab cooking, etc. Reducing expectations, his and mine. Well, it's a very nice place, the menu includes many eastern Med area specialties, and the soup and food turned out to be authentically and -- I can add -- deliciously true to its purported origins. The Egyptian tomato based soup with whole lentils was excellent, not too bland (challenging for the non non-Arab present!), but zesty and almost a lunch in itself. The main courses were great -- we each had the folded lamb and my sandwich scaled main serving ($7.50) was more than enough and the full entree meal ($9.99) was too much for the young man, even after a somewhat strenuous errand involving fourteen heavy boxes. But the taste was just right and the lamb was done "medium" -- to my taste more than my guest's (the way his father likes it). This is a handsome place with authentic (certified by my guest), with also decent if not solicitous service and proper upscale surroundings, etc. A great surprise and well worth a detour from the central city six miles north.

1  Thank Art169
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Wonderful selection of Meze and delicious desserts. The mains were disappointing overworked, not great. Service friendly and knowledgeable. Pity about the BYO.

Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

This food was just okay. The fattoush salad was mostly just a regular salad with special dressing - all the spices were not there. It was not bad food just not really a fattoush salad. My lamb and beef shawarma was good in flavour but the meat wasn't amaing quality and my very first mouthful contained a bone. I really had a taste for Middle Eastern fare and this did not satisfy.