“Fine dining experience without breaking the bank.”
Review of Piccolo Mondo

Piccolo Mondo
Reserve with OpenTable
Piccolo Mondo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #842 of 9,712 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Cross street: Cornell
Transit: From downtown Chicago, take the #6 bus to the S Hyde Park and 56th street stop near the Museum of Science and Industry. We are located one block to the west.
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I found this cozy place while I was staying in Hyde Park during the summer. It was closed for a bit while some remodeling was being done either to the restaurant itself, or to the residential building in which it is housed.
It wasn't until this past weekend that I had the opportunity to dine there. My daughter and I were in the neighborhood visiting a museum, so I decided to check it out.

The inside was welcoming, not hoity-toity. I felt comfortable in my jeans and pullover, even though other diners were wearing more formal attire, sportcoats and button-down shirts. And the lack of schmaltzy "Italian" music or fake rustic scenes of the old country were a nice change.

We were greeted promptly and seated at the linen-covered (well, PAPER-covered, linen-covered...sigh. I know, everyone is doing it) table. The waiter (yeah, a waiter. Servers work at TGIFridays) was very professional, not obsequious, not indifferent.

We shared an appetizer of fried calamari. It was excellent. Golden and crisp on the outside, and very tender on the inside. Not rubbery in the least.

For entrees, my daughter enjoyed grilled calamari (yeah, she loves the squids) pasta in a delicate lemon butter sauce. I had a very generous portion of lasagne. Both meals were well-made.

Was it the absolute best Italian food in Chicago? Probably not. Fanciest setting? Nope. But the combination of the nice atmosphere, great service, excellent food at a reasonable price makes it a winner in my book. So after a long day at the Museum of Science and Industry, walk a block north for a nice dinner.

There are newer reviews for Piccolo Mondo

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I recently enjoyed supper at the Piccolo Mondo a year after my last visit. Our evening was great are even better than before. Despite the restaurant being full our service was attentive without being intrusive. Food was sublime. We enjoyed home made bread, great antipasto selection and one of the nicest pastas I have enjoyed for some time. Food was cooked to perfection. Shellfish in pasta had just the right texture and perfectly balanced flavors. Definitely worth the visit to the south side.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Was brought to this restaurant after a conference at U Chicago. Interesting and expansive old-school Italian menu. You can tell the food is fresh and prepared with a bit of love. Found their small plates especially interesting, although some were a wee bit too rustic for the price paid. Interestingly but not overly expansive wine menu, very limited bar menu (no single malt scotches for instance). Service prompt, professional and efficient. Nothing to write home about, but it could serve as a regular restaurant for folks living in the Hyde Park area, which otherwise seems a bit under-served in the dining scene.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The food is authentic and you will not see any fusion cuisine attempts here. Old school standbys are your best bet. They are done well but nothing special. Great location in Hyde Park. The dining room feels like the 50's. Service is good and works hard to make sure you feel at home.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have loved this restaurants for decades and it still stands the test if time even with all the new businesses coming into Hyde Park. The wait staff is great, they remember your favorite meal and wine. And the chefs are impeccable. The food is fresh and the atmosphere elegant but relaxed. XOXO Laurel