“good Italian food on 56th Street”
Review of Piccolo Mondo

Piccolo Mondo
Reserve with OpenTable
Piccolo Mondo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #860 of 9,765 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Cross street: Cornell
Transit: From downtown Chicago, take the #6 bus to the S Hyde Park and 56th street stop near the Museum of Science and Industry. We are located one block to the west.
Reviewed April 30, 2012

On a recent visit to Hyde Park, one of my hosts suggested this restaurant.

It wasn't crowded, but not empty either. For the political figure fans, Barbara Flynn Currie was dining while we were there.

Service was attentive, and the food was very good. Our group had pasta and fish, everyone was pleased with choices. I had a starter salad with excellent house dressing.

Presentation was nice too. Another poster mentioned ample portion size; some of us had leftovers for lunch the next day.

The wine recommended by the waiter went well with what we ordered. I’ll return when I’m next in town.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I’m a Hyde Parker and have been to Piccolo Mondo dozens of times as a couple, with family, or a large group of friends. I always take out of town visitors there. It’s the go to place when I want a good reliable meal at a reasonable price. While I wouldn’t characterize Hyde Park as a restaurant desert, there’s only one fine dining place (La Petit Folie) and this, in my opinion, ranks second.

The food is always fresh, well prepared, and tasty. Portions are generous and, depending on sides, often enough to share or for lunch the next day. For starters, I particularly love the hearty minestrone soup or a salad with the house dressing. I almost always order one of the daily specials – there are usually five – with a particular preference for the veal dishes such as limone or piccata. Fish specials are also excellent, as are the many pastas. OK, I guess I like everything. For dessert I almost always choose the cannoli, though companies have told me that other desserts also are great. (They expanded the menu a couple of years ago to include some tapas and American fare, but for me it has been and will always be Italian.)

Service is friendly and attentive (and not just because they know me). The décor, in a classy hotel long since converted to a rental building, is nothing special, just a nice warm dining room. They take reservations but they’re rarely needed except on holidays or University-related events. There’s also a counter for takeout and a few specialty items.

As I say, it may not be fine dining. But it’s certainly as good as most of the neighborhood places on Taylor Street or in Little Italy. I don’t see much reason to leave for quality food I can get locally.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I ordered my traditional eggplant pram. First course was a cup of very hearty minestrone soup. Eggplant was served with a rich tomato sauce didn't notice a lot of cheese. Wished there was more cheese. Surprising no pasta was offered with the eggplant The bread was fresh and oil was on the table along with butter. Hot tea was served quickly and was piping hot. My wife ordered a multi-colored tortellini stuffed with sausage and others with cheese,and a house salad. Both were good portions. Service was fast but not rushed. I would go back .

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Not your gourmet restaurant but surprisingly satisfying entrees in a very old decor setting, with attentive service and full bar service. Convenient free parking across the street. A good choice in the cruisine desert of Hyde Park.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I had dinner in this restaurant in my first visit to Chicago.
I think Piccolo Mondo is a little expensive for an ordinary Italian restaurant!
I tasted the gnocchi, it was good but wasn't worth the price! $15 for a pasta plate it's too much in my opinion!