“A Special Spot in Hyde Park”
Review of La Petite Folie

La Petite Folie
Ranked #1,047 of 10,080 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Every item on the menu sounds amazing. Business is good and the service is very attentive. I've been here twice in the last year, and I'll gladly return.

1  Thank Black_Sox_Manager

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Can't wait for another special occasion to splurge. I was planning to go today around 4 but I see Tuesday evenings they don't open until 5.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you are looking to provide a treat to your son or daughter attending the University of Chicago, this is probably the nicest restaurant in the Hyde Park area. Food and service was excellent and, for the parents, they have a wonderful wine list.
Only complaint from our 6' 4" son -- the food was terrific but the portions were small! For us as parents, the portions were just right, but appetites at age 18 are big. Still, he and his friends were delighted to have a break from college dining hall food and it was nice not to have to drive everyone to downtown Chicago or the North Side.
Restaurant is tucked away in a small little mall, so at first we drove past the address.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Cozy little restaurant in Hyde Park. Service was attentive, but slow. We had a trout Grenobloise (nice fish, bland preparation), some mushroom crepes (OK, really needed a sauce) and a fruit crisp a la mode (fresh and tart). Our friend had a filet that looked wonderful, but I did not tried. All if that and a bottle of Cotes du Rhone for $124. Not the best French food I've had for that price.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is small place looking at a charming urban square with a fountain, trees, and other small businesses. Actually, it was the only place in Hyde Park with kitchen open till 9 on Sunday night. Very pleasant local atmosphere. The food was excellent: a tuna steak with pepper crust on a bed of lentils, sea scallops, and some mild fish (sea bass?) For us, the portion size was just fine. Great garnishes, really fine food. Fruit and almond tart was outstanding, not too sweet, really European. Service was very professional, may be even a bit too formal for a small place. My only problem was their wine list. Contrary to some other reviewers, I found it quite pricey. What is worse, they only carry French wines, and regular French wines don't come close to Californian or Chilean. I asked for something similar to Chardonnay (French wines usually don't display grape varieties), and it was a $40 bottle of bland stuff that won't sell for more than $5 retail. I probably had to send it back right away, just did not want to make a fuss about it.

1  Thank comfytravel