“Ay Ay Picante”

Ranked #1,184 of 9,839 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The food is excellent. The restaurant is a BYOB, which can really reduce the bill. The service is helpful. Have been here 2x, and can't imagine how many it would take to go through the extensive menu. Food is authentic. I know since I've had lots of Peruvian food before. Atmosphere is not the greatest, but if you go for the food, great.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I'll admit the atmosphere was not crazy, but the food was soooo good! I really enjoyed it as we were just down near Peru (Guayaquil, Ecuador & Galapagos) and had some Peruvian dishes, so it took us back and tasted great! Both my husband and I loved it! We did research a few things before going in there so we knew what we wanted to order, but they were helpful enough that it isn't needed. Nice place, great Peruvian food!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Enjoyed a delicious lunch here today. Had a very attentive waiter who served up an excellent shrimp ceviche (that had a little slow-building heat), an amazing vegetarian appetizer called "Ocopa" which was essentially a potato salad in the most amazing and different sauce, apparently made from, among other things, Peruvian black mint - it was unique and excellent. For our main dishes we had the lomo saltado - (very good, if unadventurous) and the Aji de Galina (like a yummy and different chicken salad served with rice. This last dish also had a mild but slow-building heat. Overall, we found the flavors unique - just a bit out of the ordinary - and delicious. The atmosphere is unpretentious and the service friendly and prompt. I saw several Peruvians dining here - always a good sign. I would definitely recommend Ay Ay Picante to anyone looking to try something a little different. The menu is extensive enough to satisfy those looking to branch out as well as those who want a safe option. Not fancy, but I really liked the food and will be back. Thanks!! BYOB

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Lots of potatoes...LOL. Peru known for their potaoes, I expected a lot of different choices, but mashed seemed to be the potato of the day. We ordered the cebiche (spelled as is on the menu) as an snack course and it with the bread was a meal all by itself. So good, very different from the ceviche I am used to as Mexican style. There is really too much food, smaller portions would be better, even if you share (and you really have to) it's really so much, my family and I took most of our dinner home.

1  Thank CHolt26
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Simply put ......1hr 45min for food to arrive.

8pm reservations and not seated until 8:45. My party of five endured 3 baskets of bread while watching the wait stafff run around in circles while giving us many excuses. As a result, we walked out before experiencing anything.

1  Thank notahappydinner