“Feels like family and food takes you back to childhood!”
Review of Staropolska Restaurant - CLOSED

Staropolska Restaurant
Cuisines: American, European
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Staropolska on Belmont -FANTASTIC! Our Party of Five with mostly Eastern European Polish roots felt like we walked back into time to have Sunday dinner with Babcia when we visited Staropolska over the Memorial Day weekend. Walking in we were treated like gold and the feel of the restaurant was comforting and inviting. Our server was amazing and accommodating- providing suggestions and willing to modify items for our personal preferences. Food was absolutely incredible, authentic, fresh, and presented not only promptly, but with love and pride. We tried everything from mushroom soup (best I have ever tasted), to fresh potato pancakes, pierogies- a combo must have, chicken cutlet, borscht and of course Zywiec beer. We were also greeted by the owners who were gracious and kind enough to let us take our time to enjoy the dining experience even though we stayed a bit after closing. If you want a unique and enjoyable once in a lifetime dining experience with a special care to providing authentic Polish cuisine and service -this is the place. Wish we had a place like this in Florida! Sincerely, The BC BAERS

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I was born and raised in Poland so Polish food is more than pierogi and sausage for me. After searching reviews of Polish restaurants in Chicago I decided to give this one a try.

Approx 25-50% of tables were occupied while we were there which was surprising for a Friday night. They have carry out as well.

Cup of beetroot soup plain but very good.
Chicken noodle soup with Lithuanian dumplings was amazing. Just like my grandma's!
Devolay- out of this world! It was possible to sub the side dish for dumplings. Served with raw cabbage salad, sweeter version of coleslaw. Very generous portion sizes. To my surprise, I had 2 devolays on my plate! This would not happen in most restaurants in Poland.
Polish plate- typical mix of Polish staples: stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut, sausage and pancake instead of dumplings. Although my preference is to have stuffed cabbage served with tomato sauce it was all very tasty.
Topped all this with Polish beer. Yum!

Price- I can't believe how cheap the food is given how good and authentic it is!
Service- good, fast. Reminded me of actual Polish restaurants. Waitresses spoke Polish and English equally well.

The only con I can think of is the restaurant was a little chili.

'Must try' place! If I lived in Chicago, Staropolska would be my weekly stop. The food was so good, I'm writing my first review on TripAdvisor!

1  Thank vanelus
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Went to the Staropolska on Milwaukee Ave. There is another on West Belmont that these reviews seem to mix up.
The former has friendly although very overworked waitresses.
Menu is limited but prices average and the quality of the food is very good and authentic.
We had the Royal veal and fried porkchop with beetroots, cukes and dumplings. Filling and good.
Will be back

1  Thank 206JS
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Chicago has a lot of Polish immigrants, so it's no surprise that you could find good food here. Staropolska has great food, good potion sizes, and cheap drinks. What could be better! The kielbasa is very good and made in house, as is most everything. Also, if you live in the area, they deliver.

1  Thank Sara T
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is polish restaurant with a huge choice of meals and polish salads. We had delicious pork schnitzels with sauerkraut salad, big portion for a good price. We really recommend this restaurant.