“Excellent authentic Polish food”
Review of Staropolska Restaurant - CLOSED

Staropolska Restaurant
Cuisines: American, European
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Lansing, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent authentic Polish food”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I was born and raised in Poland so Polish food is more than pierogi and sausage for me. After searching reviews of Polish restaurants in Chicago I decided to give this one a try.

Approx 25-50% of tables were occupied while we were there which was surprising for a Friday night. They have carry out as well.

Cup of beetroot soup plain but very good.
Chicken noodle soup with Lithuanian dumplings was amazing. Just like my grandma's!
Devolay- out of this world! It was possible to sub the side dish for dumplings. Served with raw cabbage salad, sweeter version of coleslaw. Very generous portion sizes. To my surprise, I had 2 devolays on my plate! This would not happen in most restaurants in Poland.
Polish plate- typical mix of Polish staples: stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut, sausage and pancake instead of dumplings. Although my preference is to have stuffed cabbage served with tomato sauce it was all very tasty.
Topped all this with Polish beer. Yum!

Price- I can't believe how cheap the food is given how good and authentic it is!
Service- good, fast. Reminded me of actual Polish restaurants. Waitresses spoke Polish and English equally well.

The only con I can think of is the restaurant was a little chili.

'Must try' place! If I lived in Chicago, Staropolska would be my weekly stop. The food was so good, I'm writing my first review on TripAdvisor!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank vanelus

• Polish first
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Polish comfort food”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Went to the Staropolska on Milwaukee Ave. There is another on West Belmont that these reviews seem to mix up.
The former has friendly although very overworked waitresses.
Menu is limited but prices average and the quality of the food is very good and authentic.
We had the Royal veal and fried porkchop with beetroots, cukes and dumplings. Filling and good.
Will be back

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank 206JS
Chicago
“Great Polish Food in Chicago”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Chicago has a lot of Polish immigrants, so it's no surprise that you could find good food here. Staropolska has great food, good potion sizes, and cheap drinks. What could be better! The kielbasa is very good and made in house, as is most everything. Also, if you live in the area, they deliver.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Sara T
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Great meals”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is polish restaurant with a huge choice of meals and polish salads. We had delicious pork schnitzels with sauerkraut salad, big portion for a good price. We really recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“I was pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My sister and I both grew up as first generation Polish-Americans in a 100% Polish speaking household in Chicago. We know "Polish"...the language, literature, traditions, culture & the food. Since we both now live outside Illinois, we meet in Chicago as a central location to chat, stock-up at the Polish deli and to enjoy each other's company. Today we had met (with our teenagers in tow) at Staropolska on Belmont for lunch. Things have certainly improved. The remodeled decor is fresh and clean and the mediocre-buffet is gone. We had the Golonka (pork shank), beef w/ gravy, and pork cutlet plates with pierogi and potato dumplings. Our meals were delicious, tender, and satisfying (even the kids enjoyed it). The waitress was kind and attentive with a ready smile and easliy spoke to us in both polish and english as needed for our children. The price was reasonable as well. We took a gamble and were both pleasantly surprised with the whole experience. Will we be visiting there again? Absolutely!

• Visited March 2013