“Wonderful and Authentic”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have visited Amarind's often. The food is wonderful, classic....but with a bit of a twist. What you normally get to enjoy is not the typical Thai food that you get from a typical Thai restaurant. It's slightly different...DELICIOUS. Apparently, the head chef is a culinary genius. I've heard that he's studied from the best, and it shows! You can have the typical Thai meal, of course, but I like to try something different. There are so many delectibles on their menu. It has an intimate atmosphere. There's loyal clientele that frequent. Authentic Thai decor. A Kind staff. Great service. Food to die for! This place is one of my favs! It's a little off the beaten path but the trip is worth every penny. Kudos to the chef!!

There are newer reviews for Amarind's

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have eaten at Amarind's many many times since they opened. It use to be a wonderful Thai restaurant. This last visit was just the opposite. We were seated promptly but left to wait over 20 minutes before our order was taken. There were several table that had not been cleared off and remained dirty through out our meal.

There were 2 of us and we ordered beef salad and pot stickers. The beef salad was ok. Not as flavorful as it has been in the past. The pot stickers were small but hot and pretty good.

We ordered the Herb Salmon and a chicken dish(don't remember which one ). The salmon arrived at the table 10 minutes after the chicken dish and it was very oily, had nice herb seasoning but it wasn't as fresh as it should have been as it was fishy tasting. The chicken dish was ok, not very memorable.

We have ordered take out from here and eaten in the dining room a lot over the years. The last carryout order was also not up to what we have had in the past. We will not longer be eating at this restaurant.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I was originally headed to Thai Taste (I think that's what it's called) on the Oak Park side of North Ave, across from Amarind's. But when I got there, Thai Taste was closed-permanetly. I headed to Amarind's instead. They have parking available in the back and possibly on the side street when you turn off North Ave. It was New Year's Eve but there were people in their enjoying their meal. The decor is standard "Asian" but still decent. The women at counter were very nice and patient with me, a newbie. I did not have to wait long for my food as I decided to take out. When I got home I found the food still hot and ample for me. I had the green chicken curry, which has spice and taste. I was, however, surprised by the looseness of the curry. I had had it one other time and that was thicker. This was watery but with the similar taste. I would like to take away again OR eat in, their menu had some other items I'd like to try.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

Amarind's offers very high quality Thai cuisine at reasonable prices, and in a location you wouldn't expect a Thai restaurant of this nature - on North Avenue adjacent to Oak Park. If I were to find a fault, it would be that the portions are on the small side. Certainly don't count on wrapping any leftovers to take home. But the cooking is at a very high level, the menu varied, and the ingredients are always fresh. One never feels that the broccoli, for example, has been sitting around the kitchen for days. The service is always pleasant, though sometimes slow at busy times.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

Amarind's was my favorite restaurant when we lived in Oak Park... I always got the Amarind's Noodles. After moving, we return at least once a year to spend time in the city and our events are always planned around our pilgrimage to Amarind's. The service is excellent. It is a quaint, quiet restaurant with a wonderfully kind waitstaff.

Been to Amarind's? Share your experiences!