“I'm Giving Up on Orange”
Review of Orange

Orange
Ranked #727 of 9,883 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I love Orange in theory. Their menu offerings are intriguing & creative. However, on the last 4 times that I have eaten there, the service was sub par & on this occasion the food was too.

The orange coffee is always a hit with me; this time is was watered down & not as robust as it should be. The cost for a cup is $4, granted it is unlimited, but if the coffee is weak & atrocious, what's the point?

On this jaunt, I ordered the Juevos Rancheros...I love a breakfast nacho! I asked for my eggs over easy, they were hard. There were 5 tortilla chips on my plate & a mess of liquid underneath. The presentation was lacking enough that I didn't eat any of it beyond 2 bites. In the past, I have ordered their omelets, which were great & I have done the French toast & pancake flights; also both were good on those occasions.

On to the service aspect. I am never over critical of breakfast servers; they are up well before I am on a weekend to deal with cranky, coffee-less, often hung-over individuals. I have worked brunch shifts as a server, and I know what they are up against. When we walked in, it took the hostess 10 minutes to actually say hello; there was no one waiting in line & there were numerous empty tables. We had to ask a bus-guy for silverware after the runner came out with our food. When we were finished & going to pay, the server told us that she can only take 2 forms of payment & that if we are paying cash, she didn't have change. It was all very off putting.

I wanted to go to another brunch spot on Wells, but there was such a long wait, that we opted to go to Orange. I regret not waiting in line. I'm over Orange.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had a great breakfast here. They have interesting and creative brunch options. Try the frushi. This place was also pet friendly, bringing our dog a bowl of water.

Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

They advertise a contemporary brunch and that is what the menu delivers. Thete was a line to be seated at around 11:30 on a Sunday. The create your own fruit juice is a cool concept and my watermelon / strawberry drink was very good. The omlet number six was very good too - a lot of asparagus. With my omlet I got a fruit plate. I have never tasted such sweet and ripe pieces of fruit. They were cut far enough from the rind so there were no hard pieces and it was really good! They are unable to do proper seperate checks because of an old computer system but if you write out how much you want various cards charged they will gladly run multiple cards.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

One of my friends suggested this place for brunch during our all girls trip..We had to wait for an hour to actually to get a table on a sunday..but the wait was totally worth it..it was one of the best brunches i've ever had..we all loved the orange coffee, orange french toast and chai french toast the most among other things we ordered..somehow the place seemed so perfect for an all girls brunch..we'll all remember this brunch for a long time to come for the food and the conversation we'd..highly recommend this place..

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Orange was on our list of Chicago eateries we had to try for breakfast. The reviews we read were generally quite good. Overall, we were impressed with the service, the food was decent and the coffee very good. They leave a pot of coffee at the table. It has about 3 cups in it. Be aware that they will charge for each pot served, so for a little more than 2 cups each the coffee cost $8. A simple breakfast of bacon, eggs and coffee will go over $20 before taxes and tips.