“Mediocre food but BAD service!”
Review of Sopranos - CLOSED

Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Cross street: W George St.
Transit: We are a couple minutes walking distance from the Wellington and Diversey-Brown Line stop. In addition, the Brown, Red and Purple lines stop at the Belmont station (located at Belmont/Sheffield) which is approximately 5 blocks from the restaurant.
Description: Soprano's is truly a one-of-a-kind restaurant serving authentic Italian cuisine located in the heart of Lakeview. Our rustic Italian ambiance includes a wooden hand-crafted bar, private wine cellar and customized artwork. Our menu focuses on handmade pastas, freshly cut beef and veal, succulent seafood and desserts made from scratch. Our signature dishes include Lobster Capellaci, Filet Soprano and homemade Tiramisu. Our wine list includes both domestic and imported offerings. We feature beers from Italy and an exclusive Martini list. Don't miss our daily drink specials - 1/2 off select bottles of Wine every Monday and $5.00 Martinis every Thursday. Just minutes from downtown Chicago and within walking distance to Wrigley field, Briar Street Theater and the Apollo Theater. We welcome groups of all sizes. We invite you to enjoy our comfortable atmosphere, friendly staff, entertaining music and exceptional food.
Aurora, Illinois
“Mediocre food but BAD service!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I went to Sopranos last night for an early dinner before a play. I had been about two years earlier and just loved it so it was my first recommendation since we would be in the area. However, things have certainly changed.

The food was mediocre at best. My husband had the gnocchi which was okay and I had the chicken parmesan. When I ordered my meal I asked for fettuccini alfredo instead of the penne. The server (woman - I didnt catch her name) told me it would be an additional fee because the noodles are "fresh" - not a problem assuming they were hommade. My food came with fettuccini noodles (did NOT taste homemade) with marinara sauce which was not good. I really didnt like the marinara so I waited about 5 minutes until the server came back. I told her I had actually ordered fettuccini alfredo and not marinara with fettuccini noodles. She replied back "well thats not what you said" and just looked at me with a look of "too bad". She argued with me for a few minutes saying she only heard fettuccini noodles and with a serious attitude said "well do you want me to ask them to make you a new one?". I was totally annoyed at this point and just said no so we could get out of the restaurant.

I at the chicken and left all of the noodles. She she came back she said "so I assume you dont want to take this home"...gee - no I do not want to take home food and I did not like nor did I order.

The bill finally came and she said "I dont know whose fault it was but I bought your drink". She did remove the cost of the drink - but she charged me the upcharge of the fettuccini noodles still!

In addition to the poor service, the menu was completely uninspired. Typical Italian restaurant food that you could get anywhere, boring wine menu, and nothing creative.

I would never come back to this place, nor would I recommend it, due to the bad service.

• Visited February 2013

Barrington, Illinois
“Liked It!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We visited Soprano's based on TripAdvisor ratings. Very nice place for a dinner prior to a show at the Apollo theatre.
Server was excellent--no wasted motion. Dinner was just right...serving sizes, fresh salads and pasta, good food wines.
Totally recommend this place. I reserve Excellent ratings for the best of the best fine dining. This 'very good' means--you will be happy you chose Sopranos for an informal dinner.

Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Yummy”
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I've always had great service and really good food! It's a great, quiet neighborhood place. The bread is delicious too. My favorite is their seafood bisque when it's chilly out!

Champaign, IL
“Will eat here again and recommend to friends.”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Nice menu selection. Service was very attentive. Only problem was I ordered salad as entree that included goat cheese and candied pecans. The salad came out with no goat cheese or candied pecans. When I noticed this, my server went to the kitchen and was able to get a small bowl of goat cheese for me to add to my salad but said slivered almonds had been substituted for the pecans because they didn't have pecans. I would have ordered something different if I had known....In a sit-down restaurant, the kitchen should let the servers know when there is a substitution to a key element, especially in an entree.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Ryanwhob
Schaumburg, il
“Horrible!”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Service was awful, so understaffed. The table next to us walked out because they were waiting so long. The server couldn't understand. Food was awful, and cold. We would have sent it back but didn't want to have to wait forever for that. My husband loves VO manhattans, and they didn't even have VO at the bar. Ordered drinks, she made two
and forgot the other two. The place wasn't even that crowded for a Saturday night.
Don't waste your time or money.