“Lost opportunity”
Review of Las Tablas

Las Tablas
Reserve with OpenTable
Las Tablas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,972 of 9,832 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Colombian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Cross street: Southport Ave/Wellington Ave
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We've been going here for several years and always found it to be good. But this time was our last. We had 7 PM reservations made through opentable.com and although we had a short wait, we were taken down to the basement past the restrooms and we were seated in a cold room. The smell from the bathroom was unwelcome and the banging of the bathroom door combined with the hand dryer buzzing was annoying. The food and service also disappointed. The waiter came once to take our orders and never once returned to ask for refills for drinks. The steaks were not cooked as requested and when a rare steak was returned to be grilled further, it came back dark, cold and just as rare. Perhaps they were just too busy but I think the basement service, was just that.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I dined here with a group and the food was good. We started with empanadas and arepas and I could have made a meal out of them. I ordered the combinaciones with skirt steak and pork loin. It came with sweet plantain, yucca, and potato. The skirt steak was the best I've ever had. It was tender and moist and well-seasoned. The pork loin was equally good. The potato and yucca were ordinary, but complemented the meat. The sweet plantain was excellent. If I lived in Chicago I would definitely return to this restaurant. If I visit, it is likely I will be back too. The service was efficient and friendly, even with our large group.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

The food had Mexican taste, but is no wander since the cook and most workers there are Mexican. If I want a restaurant ran by Mexicans I wouldn't choose a Colombian one, rather I would go to Taco King or pick one of the many Mexican restaurants in town.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Las Tablas is a Colombian restaurant, specializing in skirt steak preparation. While the thought of going to a restaurant to pay $$ ($20-25 entree) out of $$$$ prices for the toughest meat on a tenderness scale might cause resistance, it is worth visiting.

The menu is very limited and thus, this is a "I want a Colombian skirt steak" restaurant, not an every day, a different experience place. Only visit when this is what you and the entire party prefer to eat. And if you do, it is a very good steak. It has been marinated so the what once was the toughest piece of meat, is juicy, tender and well seasoned. It is served on a hot plate, complemented with sweet plantain, yuca and potato.

The steaks (we had the skirt, KC strip and Rib-eye) all were seasoned similarly. A medium cooking request was more of a medium-rare, but that is truly how these should be served (medium rare). The sauce is a key part of the preparation but for those who don't like sauce, it can detract and overwhelm the steak. The plantain was cooked to perfection. The other parts of the meal were OK. Nothing special about the seasoning or preparation. The pork belly was overcooked and some of the other items were a little on the "hard" side. We did enjoy the Empanadas. Nothing special but a tasty assortment. Desserts were also done properly.

The sangrias and mojitos were excellent. Best mojito outside of Cuba that I have enjoyed. The sangria was not a watered down version. Good solid taste of the base wine enhanced by the other ingredients.

Service helps make this a restaurant that is on my return list. Juan and team were excellent. We had a party of seven, including teenagers and grandparents. Everyone was made to feel special and engaged. Service was prompt, never lacking, and done with smiles. It is a clean restaurant, properly lit, with the doors and bar being far enough away not to detract from the patrons who are dining.

Overall, a solid choice. The three rating is due to the limited selection of meats and an average preparation of the sides. This is a "specialty" restaurant and thus should be chosen when looking specifically for a Colombian steak. Enjoy

1  Thank MDMR
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I and 2 friends went to Las Tablas for dinner at a prime time on a saturday night and we did not have to wait long. We were seated and our waiter came.We had the empanadas to start, I had the garlic chicken/and the side salad. It was great!! The other 2 had the steak,rice and beans. They enjoyed there meal as well. Nice atmosphere and I would go back again.