“Fashion Italian place in Chicago”
Review of Toma

Toma
Ranked #3,761 of 10,814 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I don't understand why this place is so underrated. It has a very good pizza, very Italian style in a city that overrates its infamous "deep dish pizza", very far from Italian food. The restaurant is modern and clean, the service is kind and quick. The ingredients are fresh and "native" - ham on the pizza is authentic "prosciutto di Parma", etc. Prices are good for the kind of place.

Date of visit: June 2013

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We ate at Toma because it got good reviews on Urban Spoon, and it was close to our hotel. The risotto appetizer was excellent, and our prosciutto pizza was good, too. I wouldn't say the pizza was fantastic because honestly it was quite bland, but still tasted good. The crust was brick oven style. The server was a bit slow, as it seemed he had quite a few other tables.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I took my mother here after we realized that California Pizza Kitchen had closed inside Water Tower and we ended up falling upon this place. I first noticed the very nice atmosphere with wood and intimate seating. My favorite thing was the ginormous light fixtures above the small booths.
The food was also interesting and not ginormous, they suggest you eat a few plates and share them. We started with the Romana salad(basically a caesar salad with vinegarette) and goat cheese/marmalade jar or spread. The romana salad was light and refreshing on the palate with great thick slices of parmesan cheese. However, the goat cheese spread was absolutely amazing because of the combination of sweet and savory. I wanted to take a seperate jar home! The pizza was last and we got the spaniard(chorizo, cheese, and cilantro) and I loved the homemade crust, but agreed with my mom when she said it needed a sauce of some sort. It was more of a flatbread appetizer, but the flavors were very nice. The cocktails are also nice and gourmet but definitely pricey at $9 each.
Overall I would recommend this place for couples or small groups who find themselves downtown.

Date of visit: August 2012
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Pizza was a little burnt, the table we were seated at was far in the back, and the waiter was kind of quirky, but otherwise tasty food!

Date of visit: May 2012
Reviewed March 10, 2012

As a fan on Tony Mantuano, was anxious to try Toma's. Nice setting, location and ambiance. Service was problematic - brought me a different bottle of wine than ordered, a salad was delivered instead of the cheese plate ordered. The pizza - a Siciliano. - was overlooked and the cauliflower on the pizza was dry and tasted burned. Our waiter never checked on us or asked about our meal. The bill included the wrong bottle of wine and it was a hassle to get it straightened out. I believe the place has promise and will try back again. Finally, the menus are printed in shades of brown win ather small print - I found it very difficult to read.

Date of visit: March 2012

Been to Toma? Share your experiences!