“Surprise! I liked this place.”

Topo Gigio Ristorante
Ranked #106 of 9,810 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I discovered this place while walking done Wells Street during which they had a great art festival. I went in, and was surprised at the decor and service this place has. It is pleasant and cheerful. I ordered spaghetti and meatballs for lunch, and I was surprised at how big the portion was for a meal at lunch. Very good restaurant.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Seemingly pointless making a reservation here. We booked, arrived on time and stood for 20 minutes. Another couple arrived who hadn't booked and they were offered a seat to eat at the bar. I asked why this hadn't been suggested to us, "because the host doesn't seat the bar". Barman was lovely and the food is wonderful. Lively atmosphere too, turned out a good evening.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Outside was crowded so we took our reservation inside, but it was lively and fun. Pasta, chicken, pizza were all good; so was the soup. I had the best panzanella salad that I could have made into a whole meal.Nice wine list that was not unreasonably priced. Not a stuffy place and not too touristy, just a lot of fun.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I like pasta, occasionally. Can't say I am a big fan because I really lean towards meat and potatoes. BUT TOPO GIGIO'S IS THE EXCEPTION! AWESOME, INCREDIBLE CUISINE! We hit the spot on a Friday Night before going to "Zanies" The restaurant was packed (surprise surprise). Even with all the activity the service was splendid. I cannot recall the Italian name of the dish I had...but it was mouth-watering savoringly delicious! We had a group of six and just a wonderful time.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

The stellar menu features succulent offerings such as conchiglie alla sarda with a tomato-cream sauce, peas, ground sausage and pecorino cheese. Another favorite is the tortellini alla panna - the peas add a fresh sweetness amidst the heavenly cheesy sauce. You always get a basket of fresh baked bread to dip in olive oil with fresh parmesan-- but save room for the entree! There is a charming courtyard with a row of candles against rustic, terra cotta walls, An unforgettable dining experience.