“An overall great experience!”
Review of Basil Leaf Cafe

Basil Leaf Cafe
Ranked #492 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I went to Basil Leaf for our third anniversary dinner. We were not at all disappointed. The food was very good, and the service was excellent! The butternut squash ravioli was very good, but was a notch below the same dish at our favorite Italian restaurant (Eatalian in Gardena, CA). The staff was very friendly and accommodating of our special requests and modification of menu items, and the food was reasonably priced. This is definitely a place worth visiting!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Basil Leaf is one of our favorite places to dine in Lincoln Park. The service is excellent! We usually sit in either Erin, Jessica, or Kristin's sections. In the summer, outdoor seating is offered which is lovely. The small cheese platter, butternut squase soup, and cheese tortellini are among our favorite dishes.

1  Thank Krista S
Reviewed April 15, 2012

There are lots of choices for restaurants in this part of Lincoln Park so the competition is fierce. The place looks good, neat and well kept, overall ambiance is very warn, friendly and fairly quiet.

The food is I would say, is just average, but quite reasonably priced for Chicago. I had the lobster ravioli which was ok, the risotto was also average but the butternut squash soup was great.

Turn offs were the mediocre and bland olive oil served with their excellent bread (extra virgin would be nice). Also, my menu was recently wiped with a musty smelling rag which gave me quite a bad impression (amazing that small details like this are a huge turn-off).

Probably worth trying again in a few months, maybe we just did not order their more popular offerings.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

We enjoyed two entrees through GrubHub delivery and believe we have found the perfect "upscale" resource for those nights when you want to stay in, not cook, and want "real" food. We assume the restaurant is quite good based on our meals and will check out an in-house dining experience soon. Their Vegetable Risotto has perfect, elegantly (yes, elegant) sliced grilled vegetables. Their Rigatoni Bolognese was delicious with balanced spices and quality beef. I called the restaurant in advance to find out the veggies in the risotto and requested that some of their veggies be omitted (they include zucchini, eggplant, and squash - creepy, strange-texture veggies). I wondered if they would be irritated and it would come to me a bit second-rate. Nope, they were up to the challenge and bested any restaurant with thinly sliced grilled carrots, thin carmalized onions, perfect broccoli, etc. Thank You! Portions were generous and I'll be having the risotto for lunch!

Reviewed March 3, 2012

From the fruit infused water, to the subtly flavored olive oil used to dip the crunchy bread, I felt that there was so much attention to each detail of our lunch. I had the roasted portabello mushroom sandwich - every element of this simple sandwich stood on its own. The ingredients were so fresh and the sundried tomatoes were the BEST I've ever tasted. I can't wait to go back for dinner!