“Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Sapori Trattoria

Sapori Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Sapori Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 9,899 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Cross street: Diversey
Transit: Diversey Brown Line, Fullerton Train stop, Clark St. Bus, Halsted Bus, Diversey Bus. Abundant Cabs at all Hours
Reviewed April 13, 2014

A group of about 15 of us was headed to Kingston Mines for some blues and headed here for dinner first. Service is outstanding and really the highlight here. Food was presented nicely and hot and everyone enjoyed their meals. We we're celebrating and the manager customized the menu's for our honoree. One suggestion: if you're a guy, don't order an Lemon Drop Martini here. I took some (fun and well-intended) grief from the manager for doing so and then was the butt of most jokes that evening. All done the right way. If you're going to Lincoln Park, try it.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

A very good restaurant. It is very cozy and packed a little too close for comfort. We had to kind of slide into our seats. Since it was two of us, we were kind of seated in a secluded corner near a door on the first floor. We had Fried Calamari, lobster stuffed pasta and gnocchis with chicken. All the dishes were excellent especially the lobster stuffed pasta and calamari. The bread was excellent too. The sauces were very fresh especially the pesto sauce. But it was a little bland. I like my sauces to be garlicky but these were not. The waiter did not really spend much time with us. WE also had a groupon. The gnocchi was a big serving and we ended up taking half of our food home.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I'll qualify this review up front with the fact that we were there the Saturday after Valentine's Day. We both know better than to go out for dinner anywhere except perhaps someplace we are regulars at on Valentine's weekend, but we ignored conventional wisdom and decided to try Sapori anyway.

For a restaurant that consistently wins awards for atmosphere and best romantic Italian I was blown away when we walked in. They had tables packed in to the place like livestock at auction. They had also clearly taken more early reservations than prudent because the people waiting for the second seating were packed around the bar, entryway, stairwell, hostess stand, broom closet, kitchen, walking spaces... (you get the idea). We had to wait about 15 minutes for our table and we were already calling some of our regular joints just in case we were asked to sit in the middle of the madness. Luckily we got seated upstairs which was equally cramped with tables, but lacked the plethora of folks waiting for their late reservations.

As far as the food goes everything was good. I had the duck leg which I thought was rich and very well cooked (fork tender). Simple flavors, nothing earth shattering. The two things we tried that impressed me most was a cucumber infused vodka martini that was phenomenal, and the complementary bread and olive oil. The latter was again simple flavors done well.

Our server was amazing and probably the single factor that makes me want to give this place another shot even given the chaotic experience. Her recommendations were insightful and she was a pleasure to talk to even while trying to tiptoe through the maze of cluttered tables and clients. She mentioned that they had added tables for the big weekend and that explains a lot when I consider how different my experience was compared to that of many of the previous reviews I've read here. I am shocked that the owners were willing to pollute the overall experience just to turn a few more tables on Valentines Day.

If you decide to try Sapori I recommend a quiet night mid week and be sure to order that cucumber martini.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Atmosphere, service, and value here were good. But my entree, veal prepared with wine sauce and artichokes, disappointed. The meal was very bland. However, my ceasar salad was incredible. We will likely return and give it another shot.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We loved it here. The pasta Bolognese was like grandma's kitchen. The service is very friendly and the tables are very well spaced and comfortable. We needed to see a show at the Apollo theatre and our waiter got us in and out in about one hour. You will enjoy this restaurant.