“Note for the groupon users!!”
Review of Geja's Cafe

Geja's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Geja's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #340 of 9,531 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Cross street: Lincoln and Clark
Transit: Brown Line to Sedgewick / North
Description: Chicago's most romantic restaurant featuring fondue dining and fine wines. We are open 7 days a week. Fondue dining - cooking at the table - is a great way to give your family and friends a unique experience. Geja's features an extensive, moderately priced wine list, with many selections by-the-glass. Reservations are recommended. We would be delighted to help plan your private party. We accept all major credit cards. Because of safety concerns we do not allow children under the age of 10. Dress code: Many of our guests are celebrating a special occasion and we ask that your attire reflect that. The dress code at Geja's Cafe is business casual. For men, a collared shirt and dress pants are appropriate. For women, business wear or dressy casual attire would be most comfortable. More specifically, we do not allow beachwear (flip flops, tank tops, etc.), athletic wear (jerseys, sweatpants, gym shoes, etc.), ripped or torn clothing and hats of any kind.
Worthington, Minnesota
“Note for the groupon users!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I were heading to Chicago for a weekend together. We saw the groupon for Geja's cafe and decided to give it a try as we had never been to a fondue place before and the reviews were overall pretty good. The food was excellent and the experience was great. However for $30 for the groupon, you are to get either $70 or $60 worth of food depending on the day you go. When we got our bill it was for $97 (listed were both premier dinners and 2 cappuccino's). So we informed our waiter again that we had a groupon. He stated "okay I'll go and take care of that." Then my fiancé asked about the two cappuccinos on the receipt, which our waiter stated "yes I'll take care of that too." When our waiter returned, he simply wrote "-$60" in pen below the printed $97, then placed the remaining balance of $37. The cappuccinos were still totaled in there. So I asked why and he said "you only get brewed coffee with the groupon, the cappuccinos come from behind the bar at an additional expense." PLEASE NOTE the additional expense of the cappuccinos was not relayed to us. The exact conversation was "I'm going to bring the dessert out next which you get a coffee drink with. Would you like brewed coffee or a cappuccino?" Never once was it indicated that we would be charged for the cappuccinos. Therefore if you do the math, we still ended up paying $70 (with tip) for dinner. Therefore the deal turned out to be not all that great for us. I would have given Geja's cafe 5/5 stars had this trickery not happened. Like I said overall a good experience and a good meal, just beware of hidden costs you may encounter.

Edina, Minnesota
“Great dinner location”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I was in Chicago for a work/vacation, and had dinner with co-workers and my family. This was the perfect location. The food was wonderful and the service was as good as I have ever experienced. A really fun place to enjoy your group's conversation. The restaurant was full but still able to hear everyone at our table.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank jtdman37
Chicago, IL
“*The Rumors are True...This place is amazing!*”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

As a Chicago native, for years I've been hearing rave reviews from friends and family about how great their experience was at Geja's. When my Mom bought a groupon, we couldn't wait to make a reservation and see for ourselves what all of the hype was about. We made reservations for 6:30PM on a Wednesday night last month. She was running late coming in from the suburbs so I called the restaurant to see if they could hold our reservation, which they said they would but only for 20 minutes, otherwise I should call back. We ended up arriving almost at the time of the original reservation and were immediately seated at a center table with a bench on one side and chairs on the other. The walls were lined with the more secluded booths, complete with curtains for more privacy. The overall ambiance was tastefully romantic, with dim lighting and hidden nooks throughout the space. There was a musician playing spanish guitar, and he was phenomenal. Our waiter was incredibly friendly and helpful. Even when we told him we had a groupon, his professionalism and kindness never changed. We decided to order a bottle of wine and two of the Connoisseur Premium dinners (a stipulation of the groupon was that you needed to order the premium dinners, aka not only cheese and chocolate fondue option). We were first served the cheese fondue and salads. The cheese fondue tasted exactly like a small chalet I used to dine at frequently in Switzerland! When the main course plate came out, it was filled with lobster, beef tenderloin, jumbo shrimp and an array of dipping sauces and vegetables. Everything was absolutely amazing! We couldn't stop eating! Finally, the chocolate fondue and coffee was served. One of my favorite parts of the evening was roasting the marshmellows on the open flame that our waiter lit on the chocolate fondue!

The food at Geja's is typical of most fondue restaurants in the world, but it is the service and the atmosphere that make the experience. I would go back in a heartbeat, but maybe this time with my boyfriend as it is incredibly romantic.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank bambinaxo
Princeton, New Jersey
“Romantic and awesome cheese fondue”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We came to this place because there aren't too many places where you can fondue in our city. We immediately loved the atmosphere in the restaurant, very cosy.

We went for the international fondue which consisted out of a small cheese fondue, main course: chicken, steak and shrimp fondue and the chocolate fondue.

Loved the cheese fondue, so yummy with the bread, apples and grapes. The main course was more than enough, very good steak, chicken and delicious shrimp.

I didn't care too much for the chocolate fondue, but that's probably cause I mainly eat Belgian and Swiss chocolate which tastes much better than the once used in the fondue. But again, more than enough to dip: marshmallows, banana, pineapple and much more!

Excellent place for date night or a fun time with bunch of friends.

Yes it's considered a bit pricey, we thought it was more than worth it!

1 Thank 1983_lilo
Chicago, IL
“Geja's for an almost perfect date night”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We joined another couple (surprise!) for our friend's birthday. It is her favorite restaurant and her husband had called me the week before to have us there. She was also quite surprised to see us there, since my husband is not a big fondue person. His "Why pay so much to cook your own food!" has gotten him a few laughs over the years. We did enjoy the meal and our friends.

They have several relatively inexpensive wine choices and the red wine the server recommended was quite good.

Geja's was very accommodating for serving broth with our meat and vegetables, along with oil for those wishing for the traditional fondue. We had the Continental 4-Course dinner. It includes a cheese fondue which was served with white and dark bread and grapes, a small salad, Lobster, Shrimp and Steak with vegetables such as mushrooms, onions, broccoli. Everything was very fresh and wonderful. They will bring you more vegetables if you wish, but we had plenty. There are six or so sauces. Dessert was a chocolate fondue served with pound cake, pineapple, apples and strawberries. It also includes marshmallows which are perfect when they light the liquor on the top of the chocolate. our friend got a lit slice of pound cake smothered in chocolate with a candle on top.

My husband, who notices things such as this, remarked a day or two later that it was too bad that they hadn't cleaned the light above the table for some time. Perhaps that's why they keep the lighting low. Oh, well.

• Visited July 2014