“My Favorite Take Out in Chicago”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Windy City Hot Dogs Incorporated
Ranked #1,604 of 9,604 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighborhood: Southwest Side
Neighborhood: Southwest Side
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“My Favorite Take Out in Chicago”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Windy City on 63rd Street is a total hole in the wall. It's a little shack, and as soon as you walk in, you know the food is going to be really good. They offer all kinds of sandwiches, from gyros to subs to my favorite: The Breaded Steak Sandwich. Their fries are good. They have milkshakes and all kinds of take out food. They even offer a francheezy, which is a hot dog with cheese in it, wrapped in bacon and deep fried. Unbelievable.

I love this place for several different reasons. I love that it is a little family run place. You can tell it's a family owned place, because there are little coloring book pages taped to one of the walls, and the cook's mother is at the register. There are tons of new items or specials that they come up with, and they're all handwritten on faded construction paper and taped to the walls. My favorite part of Windy City is the owner. He is this big, sweaty, Polish guy with the thickest Chicago accent I've ever heard. He always wears a baseball cap backwards that says "eat more gyros". You can tell immediately that this is the kind of guy who can make a freakin' amazing sandwich. He's super nice and has a good sense of humor.

All of the items on the menu are at a good price, and the quality of the food is always hot, comforting, and delicious. I go here every time I visit my in-laws in South Chicago... I'm just glad this place isn't within walking distance, or it would be dangerous!!!

• Visited November 2012