“Phenomenal value for delicious food”

Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria
Ranked #54 of 9,717 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our server cracked jokes with our teenagers and made the entire meal entertaining. The child portion of spaghetti was enough for a hearty teenage boy! The deep dish pizza was wonderful. Arrived at 5:30, seated immediately. There was quite a wait though when we left.

There are newer reviews for Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria

Reviewed July 15, 2014

OK, I'm an east coast guy and always dismissed the concept of a deep dish pizza. But one visit to this place has me rethinking the proper placement of the cheese on a pizza pie. Sure, it was a bit of a wait but the staff had everything under control. "Pre-ordering" your pie during the wait cut the time at the table. Prices were very reasonable. We may need to do a little more comparison dining the next time we're in the area ...

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Excellent pizza, and the salad with house dressing was scrumptious. Highly recommended. Expect to wait on weekends.

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on out first night in Chicago , we turned up at about 5pm on a Sarurday it was very busy and had to wait about 15mins for a table but was fine as we just had a drink. My husband and I both ordered deep pan pizzas each (we went for small each meant to be for 2 people but we managed to eat it all!) it was really good and waiting staff were spot on.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Let me preface this by saying I grew up in the NJ/NY area, raised on the thin crusts of local pizzerias, yet I am in no way biased to the deep-dish offerings of the midwest. I understand it's a fundamentally different dish. I don't care for the east-coast "you can't call this pizza" argument. Call it whatever you want as long as it's delicious.

The problem with the pizza at Lou Malnati's is that it's not delicious.

Let's start with our appetizer. We had garlic bread -- or rather, pieces of a dry, half-burnt baguette with only a faint hint of garlic. The bread was stale, in desperate need of some olive oil or melted butter to resurrect it. Sadly, there was none to be found.

On to the pizzas. We split two personal pizzas, the only two on the menu that carry the restaurant founder's name: The Malnati Chicago Classic & The Lou. The former was blanketed with an absurd amount of sauce, and the crust and sausage were bland. The latter was watery (from the spinach and tomatoes), bland (lack of seasoning), and had an odd three-cheese blend (cheddar... really?). Neither calorie bomb was worth finishing.

The only redeeming part of the experience was the friendly service. The host and hostess were accommodating, and our server was really wonderful. That counts for something.