“Favorite Pizza”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Love this pizza so much!! Over 50 years ago growing up on the north side of Chicago my dad would drive to 31st street to get this pizza for us. There were many other pizza places nearby, but he felt it was worth the trip to get it. I remember when there was only the bar area, with a few tables, and you could order pizza and sit down to have a few beers while the pizza was baking. Often there was a large line of people waiting to pick up their pizza,
These days I live in Ohio, but whenever I go to Chicago, Home Run Inn is usually the first place I stop. If it's early enough in the day, my husband and I will eat there, but at night the place gets very loud, so we'll take the pizza to out so we can relax and enjoy our pizza.
Very nice wait staff, and I love that there many items on the menu, including some great drinks.
The parking lot across the street is very convenient and we can usually find a spot there, no matter how busy the restaurant is.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My in-laws grew up in South Chicago. They wanted to take several of us to the Pizza place they used to date at. They have eight of them now, but we went to the original in South Chicago. I'm not from Chicago, but I've been there a few times and been to about five well known Pizza places. I think this was the best. It isn't deep dish, but it is fantastic. The crust is just crusty enough without being burnt. The Pepperoni and Bacon are also crispy, without being burnt. The sauce is very fresh tasting and the sausage is packed full of flavor. I don't know how they do it, but I highly recommend it.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I grew up around Chicago and suburbs and used to eat at the original Home Run Inn when I worked on the West Side some 30 years ago. Recently visited and found the pizza just as good as it was back then. It's not well-known outside of Chicago but it is much better than the big name pizza places and well worth the roundabout drive to get to it.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

So Chicago, so good. The crust is my favorite part. I will bring many pizzas home with me next visit.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

JMJ Out of towners were looking for some great Chicago food and decided on the newer Home Run Inn Pizza near their old stomping grounds. Everyone enjoyed their choice of pizza and the sizes were so big, they brought home alot to share. It's so nice to not have to go to 31st or to the western suburbs to have some of the best pizza in Chicago! The decor is inviting but the service left a little to be desired. Maybe they need a little more training in making the customers feel their business ($$$$) are important at all times. Also if they can't keep up they should be re-trained or more staff added.

1  Thank mother15