“Excellent”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Edison Park
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My daughter's family moved to Edison Park 4 years ago and as we are former Chicagoans we are always looking for a great Italian restaurant. Zia's is one of our favorites!! It is within walking distance of her home so when Grandpa and I are home alone we head to Zia's for lunch. The regular menu is very, very good but they always have a few specials and those are usually outstanding. The waitress suggested the chef's special of broiled whitefish and it was the best I have had. Not a usual choice when going Italian. We have been to Zia's often for dinner and they are exceptional - pricey - but worth the cost. This past week I ordered the rolled chicken breast stuffed with spinach and fortina cheeses - very good. My husband had the avocado salald with tomatoes and blue cheese and it was so good we have recreated it at home. We have never been unhappy at Zia's - the staff is very attentive - the restaurant can get noisy as it is well attended both at lunch and dinner - and it does not cater to children but they are accomendating to small children. We had our 2.5 yr old grandson with this trip and they brought him bread and a small bowl of plain noodles to keep him happy while the adults decided what to order. A great place, worth the money and a true Chicago experience.

Reviewed October 25, 2010

This place deserves its Zagat and TripAdvisor reputation. Located in a suburb of Chicago, it is a relatively small restaurant with a hopping bar in front, decorated like a typical family Italian restaurant. The food was anything but typical. It was simply excellent.

I had their Insalata Capri, with fresh mozzarella, tomato, prosciutto and pestotomato, which was excellent. I then had the Rigatoni Bolognese and my wife had the Ravioli Di Zucca
(butternut squash with a mascarpone cream sauce and toasted hazelnuts). Both were outstanding. The Rigatoni serving size was huge and I could only eat half. The prices are also very reasonable.

All in all, the food was great, the atmosphere vibrant yet relaxed, service very good, the its Zagat rating deserved. It was worth the relatively long drive from our downtown hotel to dine there.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

A fabulous seafood and pasta house. Has actually been rated by Zagats as one of the top 100 Italian restaurants in the nation! I've been going here for years and have NEVER had a bad meal. The food is phenominal and much like that which you would find in a place that charges 3 times more than what they do. They have a variety of specials daily and their menu is updated seasonally.

Whenever I have family or friends visit, they always want to go back to Zia's. It's a great place for young and old.

My husband entertains customers and senior management (Fotune 250 company) often with confidence that all will have an enjoyable experience.

The bar scene is a blast here as well.

Reviewed August 29, 2010

This is a wonderful, upscale Italian restaurant. I personally would not bring young kids here. I find it to be more of a romantic place or place to catch up with old friends. Food is fantastic!

Reviewed January 17, 2010

I may be a bit biased in my review of Zia's Trattoria, so I will tell you that right up front. I've been coming here from almost the time that they opened and have never, ever had a bad meal or bad experience. Since moving into the Edison Park area, I wind up frequenting Zia's more than any other establishment (and considering the competition, that's saying something). The place has a casual yet hip feel to it with the low voltage lighting and exposed brick. The bar is a pleasure to sit at if you are a single and it's usually a beehive of colorful activity as the neighborhood features some regulars who will make you feel at home. The restaurant itself is comfortable and laid back, not stuffy at all. Service can be so-so at times though, but the food is the real star here. Zia's boasts a menu of favorites but they also have a seasonal specials menu that changes frequently.

Some of my favorites include Penne Abruzesse; the spicy sweet Italian sausage is outstanding and goes well with a Pinot Noir or a Chianti on their reasonably priced wine menu. Another pasta favorite is Lingiuni Alla Pescatore a wonderful blend of seafood delights include shrimp, mussels, calamari and clams in a light tomato sauce.

All of their main entrees are worth a try, however their braised lamb shank is almost otherworldly in size and scope and richness. Be prepared to take some home for sure.

I also like to come in for appetizers like Salciccia Con Rapini featuring Zia's wonderful sausage, or the Pasta squares filled with butternut squash and muscarpone topped with brown butter and toasted walnuts.

In short, if you are looking for fine, casual dining in the Edison Park area, Zia's for me is the place to go. Surveying the competition in the immediate area that is high praise indeed.