“Best Italian in Chicago area !”
Review of Merlo on Maple

Merlo on Maple
Reserve with OpenTable
Merlo on Maple is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #447 of 9,802 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Dearborn
Transit: Train stop at Clark/Division only leaves a nice 4 block walk to Maple. Busses throughout Gold Coast are minutes from restaurant.
Description: A meticulous touch went into the building at Merlo on Maple. You may notice when you walk in that it feels like a home in a time capsule, untouched by the surrounding city. We are extremely lucky to have this beautiful space on Maple. Whether you want a private, memorable evening for two or a merry night filled with wine and laughter with a group of friends or business associates, we are at your service.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

For 8-10 years excellent made fresh Italian . Best lasagna this side of Italy. Cut with a fork, silk ! Tried every thing by now and all tops.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We found this place after googling places around the Drake (which is where we were staying). The building is a quaint little house nestled among larger buildings and store fronts. When you walk in there is a really cute bar area which, in itself, would be a nice place to go for a quick drink. It looks like there is a patio for nicer days, but it was 10 degrees and snowing when we were there.

The staff was amazing, and their recommendations were fantastic. We ordered one bottle and the waiter recommended a different brand (cheaper even) which was fantastic. My boyfriend had the Gnocchi which was one of the best meals he has ever had. I had the fish which was good, but not like the Gnocchi which was to die for. The wine list is large and good.

This place is truly a gem and very, very romantic. Perfect for a couples or even a business meal.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Fantastic service from Ken! Fantastic dinner - the osso bucco was to die for. We were celebrating our birthdays, and everyone made us feel very special. Would go back every time we are in Chicago!

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We tried this restaurant after our hotel had suggested it while vacationing in Chicago. I had the Risotto which was awesome. My husband had the Ossobuco which was average and a bit tasteless. I guess I expected the restaurant to be top notch from all of the reviews. Our server seemed new. She struggled reciting the specials and apologized for her poor Italian. It is one of the most romantic restaurants I have ever been to!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

It may seem crazy to say that this little, slightly old-school Italian restaurant could join the ranks in my mind of the great restaurants over the world I've been to, but I assure you, I will remember the night I ate at this place fondly till the day I die. Our server, I believe her name was Harmony, was absolutely fantastic. Having previously been in the restaurant business, I appreciated the depth of her knowledge in food and wine, suggesting pairings and guiding us through the menu based on our palette. It did not hurt that she was also incredibly personable! I had recently graduated with a degree in History, and so a special menu inspired by a cookbook from the 1600's piqued my interest. My date instead chose something off the traditional menu, but neither of us were disappointed. There is a love for cooking in the food here. All of it is presented in an uncomplicated manner, yet the flavors are amazing. The portions were just right, neither too large or too small, and the dishes were executed perfectly without being "fussy." The decor and layout of the establishment harkens back to an earlier time of Italian dining, but this was actually a nice change, considering the trend of restaurants becoming more modern and "hip." It was not exceedingly expensive, and my date and I both agreed it was not only a great deal, but a wonderful dinner. I will certainly go back.