“Nice Treat”
Review of Merlo on Maple

Merlo on Maple
Reserve with OpenTable
Merlo on Maple is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #442 of 9,544 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Dearborn
Transit: Train stop at Clark/Division only leaves a nice 4 block walk to Maple. Busses throughout Gold Coast are minutes from restaurant.
Description: A meticulous touch went into the building at Merlo on Maple. You may notice when you walk in that it feels like a home in a time capsule, untouched by the surrounding city. We are extremely lucky to have this beautiful space on Maple. Whether you want a private, memorable evening for two or a merry night filled with wine and laughter with a group of friends or business associates, we are at your service.
Coronado CA
“Nice Treat”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant tucked in an old house; all of the pastas are handmade, and my dinner was delicious. The atmosphere is subdued, but not stuffy. Quite a treat.

Visited April 2013

Park Ridge, Illinois
“Loved this restaurant!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We recently went here with friends who bought the tasting menu. It was a truly lovely experience. The bartender was great and very knowledgeable about wine and the food there. The food was delicious and we paired a lovely Italian red per the bartenders suggestion. HIs name is David. I would have liked to sit downstairs but that's ok. Really cute and homey atmosphere. Very friendly and accomodating staff. We will definitely visit again.

• Visited March 2013
“Authentic Italian in a Wonderful Atmosphere”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful little restaurant tucked away in a brownstone on Maple street. The atmosphere is elegant and friendly, but certainly not pretentious. Authentic Italian. The seafood soup entre special was superb, loaded with shrimp, scallops, fish, calamari, mussels and clams. Seasoned to perfection and delicious, served with toast points. Spinach filled ravioli with walnuts and parsley/garlic/butter sauce was reported by my spouse as "the best ever". The homemade gelato was a wonderful refreshing finish. We would definitely return here.

Chicago, Illinois
“Dilemma”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Excellence is difficult to achieve, but more difficult is to maintain a place where even modest people like me, I have a salary not stocks, can go and appreciate the nuances of a perfect bar for an initial cocktail and a perfect dinner.
I mean perfect in the sense that I recognize every single flavor and taste of a cuisine I grow up with many years ago in another part of the world. The chef knows exactly how what she prepares must taste to satisfy people who are not willing to compromise when it comes to authenticity. Is not that I am difficult, I just like to eat what I ordered and what I know it should be, not a pale imitation or an unrelated patchwork.
Some people say I am a good cook, no reason for me to go out other than in a place where they can surprise me with outstanding preparations. The ambiance, too. And this place is Merlo. I wrote this review after many visits, the quality is constant.

• Visited February 2013
illinois
“Relaxed & Delicious!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

So you want to have dinner on the north shore? You want to have a nice relaxed (possibly romantic) laid back meal in a beautiful place with top notch food? Merlo on Maple is your place! An old brownstone tucked away on Maple serves up a rich, welcoming, romantic atmosphere, without the pretentious feel. We were dressed casually in jeans, as were most other patrons.

The bar is located in the front room with a street view. We enjoyed wine and a cocktail before our table was ready. The bartender was friendly and poured a very generous cocktail. Once seated our server gave us all the time we needed to have a relaxed look at the menu. His entree recomendations were spot on. I tried the Mangalista Pork for the first time and loved it - it is not traditional American pork and the taste is amazing. We started with the asparagus and mozarella wrapped in procuitto, and the artichoke tart. Both excellent. Then the pork and the tortellini in broth. For dessert the sorbet trio and tiramisu. Having been to Italy, the freshness and the attention to detail in each dish reminded me so much of the love affair Italians truly have with food. This is not a noodles and red sauce place. Try something new - you will be so glad you did!

We dined for almost 2 hours at a cozy table in the garden level dining room. I can see how others may have had a bad experience with loud rude patrons using their outside voices. You would not want to do that here. It feels like you are in someones living room. We loved it and can't wait to go back with friends!

• Visited February 2013