“Not for me”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Larabee Street
Transit: Chicago Avenue Bus, CTA Brown Line (Chicago/Franklin)
Description: Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu, sake and craft beers.
Pennsylvania
“Not for me”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

It was dark, loud and the menu was very confusing. They brought food from three different kitchens so your meal wasn't timed with that of your guests. Once dish (we thought it was an appetizer) was brought on a plate with other appetizers. It turned out it was actually one guests entree and she didn't know what it was and therefore didn't eat it! I'm chalking it up to our in-experience at eating at that type of restaurant but we didn't enjoy the experience.

Visited June 2014

White Plains, New York
“Don't order the duck entree; it was inedible”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Hard to believe, but the food did not live up to the hype. Honestly, the other four people liked it very much but my duck four ways was offensive. The rice was lumpy and had a very off mouth feel. The duck soup with a duck meatball may have been the worst thing I have ever tasted in something billed as a top-drawer spot.

The restaurant is attractive and the service was great. The general manager - great guy - said it was the busiest Thursday night crowd in the restaurant's new incarnation as a Morimoto spot. I can't recommend it because of the dastardly duck, but as I said everyone else loved it.

• Visited June 2014
Willow Springs, Illinois
“Meh”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Expected a lot more from the new chef. For all the hype surrounding this place and their new reality TV chef, I thought everything would be outstanding. That wasn't the case. The shrimp appetizers and the pork dumplings were great and that's where it ended. The sushi was probably the worst I've ever had and that's saying something. I probably won't go back

1 Thank LMOO834
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Menu...If you order right. BE ADVENTUROUS!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I can totally see how people might say "over-rated" or "over-priced" depending on what they ordered from the menu. Regardless, as soon as the truly amazing Masaharu Morimoto was the new Executive Chef I had to see for myself and I was happy I did. I went on 9pm on Saturday night for a date night/birthday dinner and we ordered mostly small plates and shared everything, which is (as far as I'm concerned) the only way to eat a meal in any setting.

We ordered the hamachi tacos, live octopus carpaccio, karai king crab, duck meatball soup, the duck confit rice, a spicy tuna maki, and salmon sashimi. The octopus was mind blowing--must order, the duck meatball soup was soooo good, and the sashimi was perfect as it always is with Morimoto. However, the spicy tuna maki was a waste and I saw some of the dishes that other people ordered and I could see why they might have walked away underwhelmed.

I think the key to enjoying Japonais is to order outside of your comfort zone. This is not the place to go to order standard sushi roles...it's too special to go standard and its too special to show up and just order an entree a person eat and leave. Make the most of meal and order exciting small plates and share--you will leave happy to have explored a live octopus carpaccio!

I will also make a mention that the seating is CRAMPED. We were stuck back in a corner with 3 total 2-tops where you literally could not walk between the tables without your behind hitting things from the other 2-tops table....It was upsetting considering how much we paid for that table but cest la vie. They do have a few 2-tops that are in the center dining room with more space and a view of something besides a way so I would suggest requesting one of those tables!

• Visited May 2014
Westminster
“Wonderful treat”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Food was excellent, one of best meals we've had. Presentation very good, but service could've been a little faster. It was very busy on a Fri. night. Atmosphere pleasant, prices higher than we expected, but it was a special treat. Only drawback was finding nearby parking.

• Visited May 2014