“Better than I remembered”
Review of Japonais by Morimoto - CLOSED

Japonais by Morimoto
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Larabee Street
Transit: Chicago Avenue Bus, CTA Brown Line (Chicago/Franklin)
Description: Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu, sake and craft beers.
Chicago, Illinois
“Better than I remembered”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We went to Japonais for our anniversary because my wife is a sushi lover (although I am not). It was a good experience. Almost everything was better than expected. My wife ordered one of the dishes (it was crab) twice it was so good. I had the short rib, which was done just right. Service was quite good and attentive. Only downside is that the place is bit loud. But we'll be back, which is a happy surprise for me.

• Visited June 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Beautiful decor and attentive service were the first things I noticed about this restaurant...however as soon as I received my Geisha martini, I was convinced that this was going to be a fabulous night! The martini was spectacular. My husband got the strawberry basil mojito which was equally good. I can't say enough about the manju buns appetizer. The sushi dishes were creative and delicious. I have heard their outdoor patio is beautiful and I can't wait to return during the summer.

• Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Pretty good sushi”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Went on a Sunday night as a group of 3. We arrived early and so stopped for a drink in the bar downstairs first. The bartender was very helpful, and assisted us with choices of sake (unfortunately unsuccessful but that was due to my fussiness rather than her excellent knowledge!)

The restaurant itself was quiet (as it was a Sunday) and we were seated as soon as we were ready. The server was helpful and knowledgeable about the menu, helping us with our choices. We went for appetizers and sushi only - the steamed buns and crab cakes were delicious as were all of the sushi rolls (avocado, tuna and shiitake - 6 good sized rolls per portion). The wagyu carpaccio was lovely but its flavour was lost under the various toppings.

We ordered 2 of the chef's special sushi rolls, the spicy mono (octopus and tuna tartare) and Ebi ebi (breaded shrimp with wasabi) - the spicy mono was great but the ebi ebi was a little bland, but they're the best value as they are significantly more expensive than most of the 'standard' sushi rolls.

Overall, we had a very pleasant evening, with tasty food and very good service. I would recommend going on a quieter night as could imagine it would get very noisy when busy.

• Visited May 2013
Panama City, Panama
“Sushi-gasm”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went with some friends to Japonais one night for dinner and had not only delicious food but amazing service. We were 4 but wanted to try these stem buns which only came with 3 and the server was so nice to ask to get the 4th added at no extra cost. The ambiance of the restaurant is also great and makes any occasion feel like an important one.

• Visited June 2012
Linden
“Sushi Heaven”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Awesome atmosphere and fantastic sushi. Excellent staff and very accommodating to large parties. Follow the staff's recommendations and you won't be sorry. I will definitely return.

Visited April 2013