“Good food, good atmosphere, yummy sushi”
Review of Japonais by Morimoto - CLOSED

Japonais by Morimoto
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Larabee Street
Transit: Chicago Avenue Bus, CTA Brown Line (Chicago/Franklin)
Description: Japonais by Morimoto offers its guests the signature cuisine of (Iron Chef) Masaharu Morimoto; a seamless blend of Japanese and Western techniques brought together to create exciting new flavors and culinary experiences. With brand new enhancements, designed by the timeless Jeffrey Beers International, our restaurant features two distinct dining rooms and among the new and exciting additions to our dramatic yet classic 10,000 sq. ft. space are a sushi bar backed by an open kitchen where Chef Morimoto’s signature omakase menus are prepared and Shochu / Sake bar which features Chef Morimoto’s own line of shochu, sake and craft beers.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had not been here for many years, but it is still as good as I remembered. Had sushi rolls, sashimi, appetizers. The only thing we didn't like were the drumstick appetizer. Just not very flavorful. Waitress was great. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful with recommendations. Be aware that you may end up sitting very close to the couple next to you. This can be a bad thing when she has on too much perfume!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My friend and I had never been there but met friends that had. I can't speak on what they had,but I know they had the Rock, some sort of roll, and some dumplings and enjoyed them. We had the asparagus roll, the Hamachi roll, and the Salmon Tuna Tuna roll. They were excellent. We also had the orchid martini and it was wonderful. Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great Great Food! Excellent service, way better than reviews as recent as mid Feb 13. They must have made some improvements.
Our table was one of 11. My best friend was served his main entree 20 minutes after everyone else was served and he had ordered Sushi. Our server made up for it with a round of drinks...after that I forget!!!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Rock is a must, great sashimi great everything.
Nice wine and good service.
I am definitely going back!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went there in a large group,with a preselected menu served family style.... I thought some items were good and some just ok. Not the easiest way to judge given large group setting. The ambience was nice and service was helpful.