“Great view, pretty good food and mediocre service”
Review of Cite

Cite
Reserve with OpenTable
Cite is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #784 of 10,080 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Streeterville
Cross street: Navy Pier
Transit: Navy Pier Trolley, Grand Avenue Bus 65, State Street 29 Bus
Description: For over 38 years, Cite has stood 70 stories high as a Chicago institution. The ultimate dining experience features savory menu selections, impeccable service, the romantic SkyLounge, private banquet room and breathtaking views of Chicago's skyline and lakefront.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have lived in Chicago for many years and had never eaten at Cite on the grounds that the higher up the food is served (think airplanes), the less likely it is to be tasty. But my wife and I were at Navy Pier for the Garden Show and decided to give it a try despite the many $$$$ signs on opentable, tripadvisor, etc.

The food was a pleasant surprise. All of it was excellent, especially the filet. However service was, well... pretty off. I ordered a glass of sparkling wine by name and location. I was brought some sort of vile liquid that looked, smelled and tasted awful. Apparently the waiter had not heard me and brought something else, which should, in any event, never have been served to any living creature. My wife asked why the only Riesling by the glass was $29. The waiter said he didn't know and that they had another one of unknown price that was "less." There were a couple of other minor missteps on service.

The building on which the restaurant sits atop is under major interior renovation. When you get of the elevator to transfer on the 68th floor, it was quite literally a construction zone with the walls stripped to the studs and a concrete floor. I know the restaurant can't help this, but... yikes.

So all in all an uneven experience.

Management response:Responded April 8, 2014

Thank you for your review! We only want to provide the best service possible. We are very happy that you enjoyed the food and would love to invite you back to Cite so our service can "wow" you like it should!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I made the mistake of informing the person I made the phone reservation with that I would be using the Groupon. (In my defense, I have had an experience where I did not inform them upon making a reservation and it caused a problem when the bill came around.) I also let her know that I would be celebrating my anniversary. I was so blown away by the view when we first got off the elevator on the 70th floor, but that quickly fizzled as we were taken half way around the restaurant where the view was minimal for me and nonexistent for my boyfriend. We were seated right beside the kitchen entrance and I immediately regretted telling them I had a Groupon before hand.

Things started to turn around. We were brought complimentary glasses of champagne for our anniversary. We shared the Petite Steak Diane for our appetizer and paid $17 to have two bites each. My boyfriend had the duo of lamb which was delicious. I ordered the filet mignon and asked for it to be prepared medium but the outside was very overdone. I had the lobster mac n cheese as my side, it was tasty but not very cheesy, more like garlic butter. My boyfriend had the potato au gratin which was mediocre. We opted not to have dessert. With two glasses of wine our bill before the Groupon discount was $170. I would have been far more impressed had we been given a more romantic table given that I had specified the occasion of our visit.

As other people have stated, you pay for the view. We weren't upset with our visit, it helps to be in the company of the one you love, but do not tell them that you have a Groupon before your bill comes.

1  Thank sokk14

Sokk14,
Thank you very much for your honest review. We happily welcome Groupons so we are sad to hear that you had a negative experience with it. We very much appreciate your business.

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Nobody likes getting gouged on a holiday, or any other day, but for triple the price, it better be perfect. We had an earlier reservation so we didn't expect to be told they had run out of something on the prix fixe menu, but sure enough, they were out of the Moet. The waiter graciously offered to upgrade us to the Perriet for the same price. Fine we said. It arrives warm. Wow. Was this their first Valentine's day? So we waited about 20 minutes for the champagne to chill. The service was attentive, but not what you would expect from a restaurant that charges 5 star prices on non-holidays. The food was adequate, but again, not 5 star. Throw in the automatic 20% gratuity (thanks for making that decision FOR me), $30 for parking, and I'm out $500 for a $200 meal. The view is spectacular, but for the $300 I wasted I'd recommend a trip to Miami instead.

Redwalls,
We apologize for your negative experience at our restaurant. We would love to invite you back to CIte and allow us to right our wrongs with the wine and food. Thank you very much for your honest comment.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

High prices high above Lake Shore Drive. Excellent Steak Tartare starter and duo of lamb main (the the lamb jus is intense!) Sides are huge, so order accordingly. You might find it difficult to carry on a conversation....the views of the Lake, the harbor, the skyline, and the park are intensely lovely. This historic skyscraper was built long ago after the area's shipping industry declined. Now, it's a nice walk along the river from the hotels east of Michigan Avenue (and just a few steps from Navy Pier. From the city center, take the free shuttle along Illinois avenue.

vttico,
Thank you for your comment! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had high expectations for Cite...considering all the chatter in the various media reviews. Our expectations were met and exceeded. After arriving on the 70th floor of this lake front venue, it takes you a few minutes to absorb the view of the city and lake from any angle, or any table. We had a group of 17, so the wait staff was more than accommodating, always prompt and close at hand, but not hovering.

The wine selection is as fine as I've ever experienced. A true pleasure. Those enjoying mixed drinks had a great bartender who encouraged them to experiment with little known concoctions.

The meals were superb...to address each offering with an adequate, detailed critique would be virtually impossible. Rest-assured that everything was served as expected, but at a level rarely enjoyed.

Please take a break from the ordinary. Dress up and treat yourself and your significant other(s) to a evening they will remember forever.