“Excellent Location While the Wife & Kids Are at "American Girl"”

The Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #340 of 9,493 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Streeterville
Cross street: Delaware & Michigan
Transit: Chicago Red Line
Description: As soon as you walk through the doors of The Grill on the Alley in Chicago, you are transported to another time and place reminiscent of the great American grills of yesteryear. The unique decor has an elegant feel with its polished hard wood floors, leather banquettes, and white linen tablecloths. A virtual art gallery adorns the walls of our many dining rooms while the sounds of Ella Fitzgerald linger in the background as white-jacketed waiters attend to your every need. Since opening in June 2000, this high-end steak and seafood house has made its mark on Chicago with locals, and tourists alike. The Grill has become one of the most popular places to gather for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all types of special occasions. Located on the floor level of the Westin Hotel, The Grill on the Alley is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Chicago with easy access to the McCormick Place Convention Center, shops, museums and theaters.
San Diego, California
“Excellent Location While the Wife & Kids Are at "American Girl"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was loathing having to accompany the wife and daughter to the American Girl Doll store next door to the Hancock. But when I saw The Grille, I made a beeline north past the enormous black thing that kinda looks like the Monolith in 2000 A Space Odyssey to the Westin Hotel.

Kid got $500 worth of molded plastic but after 3 scotches at The Grille, who cares?

I think they should rename this place American Dad.

Oh yeah, and service was fine.

• Polish first
Goshen, Indiana
“Would give 4.5 if I could”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ate at The Grill this past weekend. Party of 6. We sat in the bar seating area. Very nice, comfortable room. Enough noise in the room that we were very comfortable having normal conversation...but not so loud as to be annoying.

I had lobster bisque and crab cakes. Very good. I would gladly order either or both again. I am a sea food junkie, and the crab cakes in particular were good enough that I will remember them. My wife did the bisque and a wedge salad. She would gladly return to The Grill on another trip to Chicago. The rest of our party...an order of chicken parmesan, a chicken pot pie, a fish and chips, and another wedge salad...all enjoyed the meal very much. In fact, the chicken pot pie ended up being sampled by several at the table, and everyone thought it was delicious. My wife and I got the key lime pie, and we enjoyed that as well.

As I mentioned, I would give 4.5 if the rating system allowed for that. I do think that a 5 should be difficult to achieve. We were very satisfied and would happily return. I was not blown away to the point were I am still talking about the meal Monday at work...but it was very good. The bill for 6 of us was $250 with tip (we did have a few drinks). This was about what I expected, and was on par with other upper end restaurants on the Magnificent Mile!

Flemington, New Jersey
“Great for lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Great place to be when you have a bit of extra time for lunch. Atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. Excellent food. Highly recommend their Shrimp Louie salad with shrimp (Daah!) and crab meat. Very fresh, full of favors. Just be ready for a huge portion. I made a mistake ordering a soup before my salad. Though it was a delish lobster bisque.my cappuccino was quite enjoyable as well

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati
“Excellent!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Service was excellent and the food was very tasty. We only had an appetite for burgers but if the steaks are half as good as the pepper-bacon burger.... We will be going back when we return to the windy-city

Visited April 2013
Denver, Colorado
“A Perfect Evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restuarant is located in the Westin, right off of Michigan Ave. behind the John Hancock Tower. You have to go through the bar to the back, to get to the restaurant. The bar looked fantastic, very busy, active, and great menu, but we were really dressed up and wanting a more romantic, quieter setting. The Grill did not disappoint!!
Ask for Carlos; this server was a hit with us. He was very informative about the variety of cocktails (get at least one---they were stellar!), the specials, the different cuts of meat and types of fish. He did not hover, but was very attentive and his service was spot-on. A true asset to this restaurant.
My husband had the Rib Eye, which was Prime, and cooked to perfection. He had the side of mac and cheese, which we highly recommend, and a Ceasar salad, and the dressing was perfect, not too heavy, but nice and tangy. I had the pan suateed white fish, which was melt in my mouth perfect, and the side of broccolini, nice and crisp, and we shared the fudge layer cake, which was to die for. The wine list was fabulous, and not very marked up, about 1 1/2 times the price of the bottle in a liquor store.
Ask for a booth; very romantic! White tableclothes, amber light fixtures. A lovely dinner.