“What an awesome way to end our culinary journey of Chicago!”

Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 9,766 Restaurants in Chicago
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Bellevue Place
Transit: Accessible by elevated train (Chicago/State) and city bus (lines 36, 151)
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were going back and forth between Hugo's, Chicago Chop and Shaw's for our last evening's meal. We went with Hugo's, as it had come recommended by several friends. We are SO glad we did! We had a phenomenal dining experience from start to finish! We tried the sautéed frog legs, as recommended by our server, and the shrimp cocktail. Both were great, but I have to say that the shrimp cocktail here was the best I've ever eaten. Each of our entrees were fabulous. two of us had the filet medallions, Oscar-style and a side of the crawfish mac n' cheese. While my steak was slightly overdone (I ordered medium-well/light gray and got well-done/char), it was still wonderful. Another person ordered the swordfish dish and it was amazing, as well. When we inquired about the desserts, our server warned us that each one was enough to serve the entire table & he wasn't kidding! We ordered the chocolate cake and key lime pie. The key lime pie was the best I've ever eaten. It comes to the table at nearly a foot tall! What a way to end our culinary journey of Chicago!

While the food was all to die for, I also have to brag on the service. We had a reservation for 7:30 and were promptly seated upon our arrival, right at 7:30. When we were seated (in the front corner of the restaurant) it felt as though the heat was on and coming out of the vents at our feet. The server took care of it with management right away. Also - they were VERY knowledgeable about every dish and each dish's preparation. Our water glasses were never below the rim and each dish was cleared promptly. We really enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant and the servers uniforms were very clean and polished.

I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an amazing meal in Chicago!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went to Hugos to eat Steak from Gibsons next door (sister restaurants). We each order "The Chicago Cut" costing over $50 each. The steaks arrive and are BOTH BURNT. I call the waiter over and tell him the steaks are burnt - he says "we ALWAYS char the steaks - always" and then just walks off. Not wanting to create a scene, we pay up and leave.

Here are the cons:

1) Terrible service - they did not refill the bread basket until we asked twice
2) No beer on tap
3) Worst STEAKS and service in town.

Please go elsewhere to spend money if you want steaks. It sucks to pay so much and then leave so unsatisfied.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Get the garbage salad... Perfect on a hot day.. Had to sit outside because the restaurant itself doesn't open until 3pm. It was a hot day and can be a bit smelly and there is a lot of construction right now so it's a bit loud. Staff was very good

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Being there for only just one day yet, and I've found one of my favourite restaurants is Chicago. Loving the ambiance, the environment, the staff - and not at least the food.

Although that's wasn't my family's first time there, mine was, so it wasn't the luck that took me there. Hugo's Frog Bar and Fish House is a very nice (not-so-) little restaurant in a very nice area of Chicago. I liked that the waiters are very friendly, and helpful; although sometimes a little bit maybe too much, if you're not in the mood. It was weird for me that our waiter showed us a big plate full with raw seafood - but for my biggest surprise it was so fresh and looked so delicious that wasn't disgusting, what elsewhere would be.

I took the tune tartare, which was very good, they served with something like a tacos, which was a not so special thing on the side, what went nice together, and after that I ordered crabs, which were extra fresh and extra delicious. I've also tried the oyster plate, which was again very fresh and very tasty. Food is just great there.

If I have to mention one little thing which can be bothering is that the restaurant's is so busy, it could be a little too much. I don't advice if you want to cuddle with your love, or if you want to take a serous business meeting - but for (even a bigger) family event, or with friends, or with a cooler business thing I can warmly recommend. Notice that the staff will be also very busy, so you want some contact with them, you have to me attentive too.

And if you have the time, make a reservation!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We've always been loyal to Shaw's Crab House in Chicago but Hugo's will give them some competition in our books! We had King crab legs (perfectly cooked and sliced open, so no work involved!) and the sea bass, which was also excellent. Lively place with outdoor seating too...
very attentive service. Try the Bookbinder's "fish stew" soup as an appetizer -- delicious.
We'll definitely return for another visit next time we are in Chicago.

Been to Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House? Share your experiences!