“Slightly disappointing - wish it was better”
Review of Le Colonial

Le Colonial
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Colonial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #141 of 10,104 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French, Vietnamese
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gold Coast
Cross street: Oak
Transit: Chicago El & Bus Route 22,36,151,156
Description: Le Colonial Is Celebrating 15 Years In Chicago’s Gold Coast Area On Rush Street. This Noted Up-scale French-vietnamese Restaurant Transports Guests To Another Time And Place, Vividly Recapturing The Beauty, Romance And Spirit Of 1920’s French Colonial Southeast Asia. The Second-floor Main Bar, Lounge, And Terrace Are Adorned With Plush Couches, Woven Rattan Chairs, And Potted Palms. Black And White Photos Of Turn Of The Century Life In Saigon Set The Stage For Your Next Event."le Colonial Is An Escapist's Paradise, A Cleverly Crafted Re-creation Of The Civilized Yet Exotic World Of French Indochina. Here In Its Tony Oak Street Environs, Le Colonial Has One Of The Loveliest Dining Rooms In The City -- And The Second Floor Lounge Is A Sultry, Seductive Cocktail Destination.”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I think this place is cruising on its years of reputation, we found our experience extremely lacking. The server wasn't able to describe the wines beyond "strong" and "less strong". The food was very hit or miss. The place definitely needs a reality check or new management.

1  Thank akucharski

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Started off the evening with a drink at the romantic upstairs bar. Dinner was excellent. From the tuna tartar appetizer to the spicy shrimp, everything was delicious. The service was friendly and professional; the wine list was well rounded with options for all.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I'll start by saying that I don't have a lot of experience with Vietnamese cuisine. And, if you're on the fence about it, Le Colonial will solve that delima for you. In a word: go!

We ordered from the lunch prize fix menu. $22.50 gets you a appetizer and main course. The oxtail pho with beef tenderloin was worth the price of admission. Savory brown broth with just the right amount of heat. Then barbecued pork main course was running over with lots of fresh vegetables. And, that was my big take-away: this food is cooked only as much or as little as is needed. Freshness just screams from these plates.

With all of the great food choices in this town, Le Colonial really stands out to me and is now on the top of my recommendation list.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

After I ate one of the best prepared sea bass entrees I ever ate, and heard my friends raving about their choices, I knew this was a restaurant where I could systematically order everything on the menu and be very very happy. I tasted the bouillabaisse which was amazing - chock filled with lobster, etc. - I don't do tomatoes so had hesitated about ordering this. Well, this is a white broth based dish so perhaps this will be next on my eating agenda. There were similar raves from those who chose the duck and the salmon. The only disappointment were the deserts. Although the lemon filing wasn't bad, the tart's crust was tasteless and soggy, and there were similar disappointments with all of our choices except the creme brulee. But after eating as much as we had, skipping desert altogether would have been the wiser choice.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Upscale French/Vietnamese... everything on the Menu is delicious. Make reservations for evening time (even on weekdays).